Instagram

Beside all the dead organisms, vegetables and animals, a major issue is the loss of the nutriments. Firstly, the most valuable resource, the biochemical substances, is down graded to the mineral level. It's a giant loss for the ecosystem. Secondly, nothing holds this minerals and most are washed by the rain. Third, the soil itself is no more protected by the leafs (dead and alive) nor fixed by the roots, so the rain washes it out and puts it in the rivers.
It doesn't look like a moonscape maybe, but the loss is real and substantial. In the rocky areas it's even more dramatic because the soil is very thin at best. The result is that the ecosystem is locally broken up in small weakened patches. It takes many centuries or even millenniums to come back at the previous shape.
In our Mediterranean area, the fires take a big toll and come again and again. The multi-burned areas turn to desert, almost only bare rock. And the climate change makes the things worse.
It's a tragedy.

I hate Instagram and all other forms of social media that are slowly killing the forums.

lhQuoGe.gif

Thing is Butch (as I'm sure you realise) wherever large amounts of people gather there's an opportunity for money, the big companies saw that and styled the product to lure the "goods" over to their platform.

It's working to an extent, FB tree guy sites are springing up daily. I dislike the lack of intimacy in them but....

Whaddya gunna do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mychorizal fungi come back.

Fire is not a bad thing.

They come back presuming there is soil for them to develop in. If the soil washed away cuz there were no roots nor litter to hold it, what then?

I hate Instagram and all other forms of social media that are slowly killing the forums.

As long as this place (or any other entity/site/organism) fills a need or scratches an itch, it will survive. No need to hate on other stuff, same rules apply to them too. Free choice causes survival of the fittest.

Is this forum slowly being killed, is it less strong or viable than it was 10 years ago?

For many months now it's been the slowest ever.

Perhaps I need to pay some google service to get it out there better... I don't know.

Slow re numbers of visits or numbers of different visitors or #s of posts, or what?

What up Levi broheim.

What is on the mountainside, just rock, no dirt?

I love how we can keep a thread about climate change or hinge cuts, chainsaws or Donald trump going for months and months. A facebook thread lasts an hour or two and disappears into the chaos.

Eggzactly.

Well there ya go!

Hey I remember you had to take a leave partially cuz the 'net was taking too much of your time. I had to do the same thing with instagram- I really like that app/service but it was getting addictive so I went cold turkey for a week now, don't really see a point soon that I will get back on it. Just thought you might get a kick outta the similarity.

Queue the scary music...Same thing here, re only TB and TH, ha! Probably just means you are heavily into trees and tree work.

It's a community here. I like that we have real long term members here. I like lots of the new members too and hope they stick around and post lots. But I do appreciate that there are many long term members here that consistently come around. I sometimes drift in and out and my participation goes from post whore lunatic some days to nearly mute on others. But I always come around and check on things and usually throw my .02 in. A solid bunch of guys and gals here.

I hiked up Mt Bolivar Saturday. I think it burned in '05. I should've grabbed a pic of the soil, just loose burnt gravel. Nice little hike anyway.
972e5cecd1dd6cec0935c17c75c4179d.jpg
5dcd4b9c19d284c3d06833e2696d956b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

For sure. Good pics, thanks.

Old meets new!

Back