MS660 - Anyone Replaced Stock 1/2 wrap with 3/4 or Full Wrap Handle Bars?

rfwoody

Treehouser
On an MS660 -- Has anyone replaced their stock 1/2 wrap handle bars with either an OEM 3/4 wrap or the after market "Pro Safety Full Wrap" handle bars?
If so, did you have to replace any other parts? .... chain brake handle, felling dogs, sprocket cover, etc.?
Do you have any regrets?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks yall.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.
I use my chainsaws probably 1% of the amount you guys do.
But I do like to analyze things and make sure my equipment is all as 100% as it can be in order to be as efficient -- and safe -- as possible.

I really like the feel of the OEM 3/4 wrap on my ms461, but the max bar recommended is only 32"
I have a 36" *light* bar for my (half-wrap) ms660, which I have not used yet, which was to be strictly for milling.
But I think with the 3/4 or full wrap handle bars on the ms660 I would feel comfortable enough with the extra weight to use it on a tree.
This way I could make all cuts from a single side because the bar would go all the way through the tree.

But when I spoke with the guy at Madsen's he said there were several other parts that were different on the *factory* versions of the 1/2 wrap vs. the 3/4 wrap.
So I am a little confused and hesitant about it right now.

I believe the side cover is different too. Factory to factory I believe the 3/4 wrap bar sidecover is 'high capacity' and is slightly more flared and longer than the 1/2 wrap version.

Also the dogs, which are a personal choice on setups. But often 1/2 wrap have no outer dogs. Whereas the 3/4 wrap factory will come with decent dogs and inners and outers(on the side cover/sprocket cover). Also there's a 'roller' style chain catcher that goes on the 3/4 wraps between the lower sets of dogs. This is a 'extra' chain catcher and adds rigidity between the dogs for setting them deep and working off them.

Dang Justin, I'm not having to post anything to this discussion or the other similar one. You've got it covered for me :D.

Don't forget that the West Coast 3/4 wrap handle saws come with a higher capacity oiler as well. Stihl oilers are stingy at best but you guys get better oilers. Stihl doesn't make the part numbers known, either. I used to have the part numbers for the 460 and 660 oilers, converted a few locally back in the day. Every person I did that for was super happy with the change.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks a lot squisher, Burnam, and Skwerl2.

For some reason my ms660 appears to already have the large dogs on the inside and outside... but no roller chain catcher in the middle.
I sent an email to Stihl, USA asking them for all the differences and got the (not surprising in hindsight) answer to check with my dealer, which maybe I will.
But it also seems like they may have those details at Madsen's too.

At the risk of getting off topic.... is anyone familiar with the aftermarket "Pro Safety Handle Bars" (full wrap) and if they would require (or be good to have) different parts to accompany a switchover?
... and if they might be preferable to the OEM 3/4 wraps ?

Back