Wedge Belts

Gypo

TreeHouser
Thought Id share a picture of my set up. Just built this pouch for 3 12" wedges for the bigger wood were in. Usually my belts have the aluminum pouches you can buy, and for 3 10" wedges. Ive seen many setups and this works for me. Sometimes run an axe scabbard too, but not too often, and only with little axes. Pack a 2# axe with a 20" handle most of the time as usually we can push or swing as opposed to wedging. Axe is usually in my belt behind my back.

Anybody got a trick set up to show?

Attachments

• 20170620_152236.jpg
    20170620_152236.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
3. If you have to wedge much of a leaner, you drive two wedges next to each other. Alternating hits from one to the other. When theyre almost buried and its not gonna go, then you only drive one of the two. This will loosen the second wedge. Then you take the loose second wedge and the third one from your pouch and stack em. So two isnt enough, and four is overkill. 99% of the time, in the trees Ive cut, the way I cut em. ;)

Nylon pouch on my chaps. When I can't find it I use my back pockets 😁
45e279fea19fe76d86ba953b03d3ef00.jpg

The official fabric wedge pouches that sell for that purpose are pretty useless. I keep my wedges in them when not needing to carry them.

Fall two trees, then go out and buck em. Only make one trip out. Saves energy, and its faster. Makes me money. Especially so on steep ground. Its all about saving steps, especially if those steps involve carrying a power saw.

Sometimes I run three, rarely four.

I can really appreciate a man who constantly thinks ahead to save steps and effort. Refreshing when we so many who work so hard to do half as much.

Nice trick, makes sense. Is that a common technique or not so much?

In my opinion, it is common, but only among smarter more productive cutters. You see a lot of guys only running one tape.

Now, dont get me wrong. If were dumping trees and dont have to buck anything but oversize, say over 24", and there are only half a dozen of em per day, then I will only have one tape on my belt. If we have to buck every tree, and take multiple logs off , then I will have two for sure, and maybe three on my belt. This and a spare or two with my gas.

My dad is a good cutter who was taught by good cutters, and I have the great fortune of being able to draw on those years of knowledge. All of our tools and many of our daily actions are based on speed of production.

My father has often said when speaking of good tools and the like..."Im no genius and I didnt think of it, so dont give me the credit, someone showed me once too."

Its the greatest benefit of this site, once in a while you see someones setup or how they do something, and have one of those ah haw moments, you know, when you say holy shit, why didnt I think of that!! :)

Props to Reg Coates. Hes given me more of these moments than anyone. But there have been many others. I guess I will take this time to thank everyone for posting. I stop in and read quite often, but dont post much. I have learned a great deal about climbing from this bunch.

A mantra to live by...not just to make a little more moolah per day, but also and maybe even more importantly, to extend your realisticly productive working years.

Yepper... smarter not harder.

Eat fish in sea??? Im confused... thought we were cutting timber... rather be steelhead fishing though.

Good posts, Gypo. Cool set up.

I never liked wedge pouches, but consequently, I just blew out my arborwear rear pockets.

This is the best thread I've read in a while. It's threads like this one that make me love this site. Nice setup, Gypo. I like your attitude. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Back