intentional barber chair

Yes I have been following along thank you every much! Smart ass.
Ahhh yes "to shorten the fall" best answer ever! :? Silly me.

:D. I know you to well to keep the kid gloves on.

You know what they say about asking questions. Not the no stupid questions thing. The other thing. Lol.

It lessens the ground bruising.

I can buy that but is it worth the potential of getting squished?

I thought the part of being a pro is knowing how to avoid a BC not cause one. Like proper cutting and climb it and make it shorter "to shorten the fall".

It is not a technique, it is a hazard as you say to be avoided at all costs. And not even to lessen ground bruising. In fact in some cases quite the opposite could occur like when it splits up and then slams off the stump.

BCs help a faller work on his 15 yard dash times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For scientific experiments obviously.
Daniel I hope you figure something out in this that no one else can see. Me personally, I think you're a bit nuts, but I'm an in the box kinda guy.

I think we covered that on page two.. at least we learned to have some fun with it... took 8 or 9 pages though!

This passionless theology would strip away my very favorite work position and deny me some of the tastiest cheese in the industry maze.

Passionless... ????????????????? Sometimes yes (which is just fine by me) and sometimes not so much. PLenty of heart pounding falls around here.. Maybe like the difference between POV and wide angle..... POV is cool, but you get a different and often more complete perspective from wide angle...

A matter of preference perhaps, and certainly safer in most scenarios. Where would you rather stand when a big old dead snag starts moving???

Don't forget that aloft, the trunk can easily split downward if the upward side is locked. Not good if you're lanyarded on it.
My buddy took a good ride downstairs on an ash due to that.

And if you're not lanyarded in below the cut, then its fine to rip down the trunk... only unforseen consequence is that the top is going to land out farther away from the tree, which can be an issue in a particularly tight drop zone... I've thought about using this phenomenon to jump tops but never played it enough to get good!

Since I work from the bucket, ripping down the trunk is not a safety issue

Here's a private video from a while back. pertinent here. please do not share or post links, this is for the house only..
thanks.. TYhought August might enjoy and must give him credit for he turned me on to the phrase "compensation pull", when we were discussing the merits of its use

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Sa_XGYfI5XE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Passionless... ????????????????? Sometimes yes (which is just fine by me) and sometimes not so much. PLenty of heart pounding falls around here.. Maybe like the difference between POV and wide angle..... POV is cool, but you get a different and often more complete perspective from wide angle...

A matter of preference perhaps, and certainly safer in most scenarios. Where would you rather stand when a big old dead snag starts moving???

Sometimes I run, sometimes I cripple and pull from a distance. It was the 90% part you mentioned that triggered the word passionless. Not a character assessment but a concept assessment. I stay at or near the stump when I can because I like to see/hear/feel them go over. It's beneficial for precision in many cases and also it is the tastiest cheese in the tree work maze.

aug

"I stay at or near the stump when I can because I like to see/hear/feel them go over. It's beneficial for precision in many cases and also it is the tastiest cheese in the tree work maze."
I couldn't agree more. I would add blowing a big top to the tasty cheese list though!

That last nip if the hinge when it needs to just twist off the canopy on the way down. Or that slight steer with a soft dutch that works just right and you hit the lay.

I stood at the stump to tease the hinge as this thing was going... but that is much more of an exception than a rule for me...
I AM operating on a different paradigm that would not be possible without a high pull line tied to a truck or skid steer....

I stood at the stump for years ... know all about it.... only almost killed me once... (that was coincidentally the same time the hard had saved my life).. That however did not change my style as I had already made the shift and was just staying with the stump cause one of my guys needed to go home early, and I thought it would be faster than double checking the hinge by a few seconds...

Anyhow in the new paradigm you don't have the luxury of changing the hinge on the fly... I mentally design the right hinge and associated notch, backcut for the tree, then carve it out just right, maybe adjusting the amount of pretension and pull along the way. then call it good, and walk away.... Obviously you can't do that in the woods, where you need to cut or beat until something gives....

My way takes practice, understanding and precision. Much more of a mental process than cut and pull til it goes over....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mIR_TVqDyj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can only hope that one day I can buy a skid steer so I can take my game to the next level. I quiver in the presence of such precision.

Just think of the value you could ad as a sub by putting a little trailer with a skid steer or mini on the back of the bucket truck! That would probably make a big chunk of change over the cost of payments on a new machine....

Back