Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: intentional barber chair

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

Wow, an old limb in the hinge area! Kind of nice to have only heard about such a thing and not have suffered from it yourself.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

Yeouch!
    Peter

I was removing a load of trees over in Norway. Lots of Silver birch, Pine and Spruce. Forest form so pretty tall and skinny. Larger trees to be retained and a new power cable going through the woodland.

The old power lines were overhead and within range but we had a wide strip beside a footpath to lay things out. I put a pull line up a back leaner about 50 foot tall but only about 8-9 inches at the stump. Lined up the face between a large pine and large spruce. As we were trying to retain the trees, I was pretty careful where I cut it. Back cut was parallel and an inch thick IIRC. As it pulled over towards the gap it decided to pitch off to the side but at least 45 degrees and clipped the open phase power lines and fused out the repeaters.

The lads were ripping the piss and I got them all over and showed them the direction of the face, the hinge and back cut and the 3/4 of an inch knot that was in the middle and invisible from the outside.

It basically fell towards the gap and the hinge on one side broke and the whole tree changed direction on the knot.
    Rich.

Beavers never barber chair.

Be like beavers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1629.JPG  
    I feel that the evening ceases to be languid.

Mick

I've seen a case or two of saw work that looked about like that, Mick.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

Not an unuseful technique for crane work sometimes when there is imbalance with limbs and lean in the top pick. Whittle it down to the middle and the pick can move about before leaving the cut and the crane can make adjustments. It helps beginners in not getting their saws stuck. I wonder if smart Beavers might also use that to see which way the tree is going to fall so they don't get clobbered?
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

I'm not so sure beavers have that ability.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mick! View Post
    Beavers never barber chair.

Be like beavers.
    My sides hurt!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laughing-smiley-face-1.gif  
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.