Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: intentional barber chair

Gypo, what is causing these lotsa times root pull or whole root wad pull? I am bumfuzzled.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Lotsa root pulls. Only a few root wads.

Root pull caused when holding wood is directly over a root. Grain of wood is often slightly twisted here and holding wood rips the root outta the ground. Fairly common. Something to keep in mind if you dont have a good place to get away from the stump.

Root wads going when tree falls is mostly due to compromised root systems, like rotton, or prolonged wet and windy conditions which have loosened soil conditions.

Fairly common for roots to pull, you say. I'm not arguing, mind you...I'm sure you know what you know based on what is your experience. But that does not reflect mine. Different ground, perhaps, even though we both cut in western Oregon.

I've only twice in nearly 40 years had a rootwad go in a falling situation...both on top of cliffy bluffs with little soil, and mostly bedrock underneath.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Root wads pulling quite uncommon. Only had a few do it down here. Was more frequent in SE Alaska. Timber was largely rotton, and as you say, shallow roots.

Roots and root wads pulling happens. You might have to cut thousands of trees to see it very many times. I would guess most here dont get do that kind of numbers, just like I dont have the climbing experience that they do.

Thanks for posting B, got me thinking!