New project

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
:|: Husky 163...

Did a removal and the guy that hired me brought out an old 163S (63ccs). S is for? Saying he couldn't get it to start, I pulled off the plug and pulling the starter must have shot gas into his yard ten times....I mean way into his yard! Stinky gas too. If I hadn't noticed that the old bar on it had no wear, I'd never fallen for the line that I could take it home.

Anybody have a good way to remove gum from a gas tank? Hose was melted in there too. Lots of compression, it started up for a second with fresh gas added to the cylinder. One of those roll down the hill with no problem types, but not that heavy. I've seen worse, needs a carb kit and a hose and filter, maybe that's all.

Looks like it could be a good mid range saw. I like it, it has an interesting throttle arrangement, I think we're becoming friends! Anybody ever have one?

Attachments

• M011-121993.jpg
    M011-121993.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 64
What I was thinking Peter, or brake parts cleaner. Al would know probably, maybe carb cleaner too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No chain brake, so it's an early model, I guess introduced around 1973-'74. I ran a 61 for awhile, it wan't mine, but a guy that only had the use of one arm would have me use it at jobs. A good saw I recall.

Yah that had me wondering. Again if I'm remembering right my 61 had a metal chainbrake that looked similar.

I had to pressure wash the BS out of the tank for my 2100 Husky,then use acetone .Still after all that the rubber hose residue got past the filter and clogged the screen in the carb .About drove me bonkers .

Ah, my mistake, sorry, I should have mentioned that the photo is one I pulled off the web, too lazy to take one at the shop. The one I have looks similar but no brake. The early run of that model didn't have one.

This 090 I got came with a half tank of varnish in it. Being able to take the bottom off the tank was a plus. New lines and a carburetor gasket kit did the trick. It thanked me by trying to jerk my fingers off when I started it, found a use for the compression release. During my "duh" moment all I could think of was a Harley Sportster.

You can't be squeamish with the big old saws without decamp valves. I have an 076 like that. A good mental attitude along with taking the slack out of the starter rope before giving a very positive yank, seems to help.

I rebuilt an 028 from the dump once where even the whole fuel line plastic filter was a blob on the bottom of the tank. I can't remember how I got the gunk out.

Ah, my mistake, sorry, I should have mentioned that the photo is one I pulled off the web, too lazy to take one at the shop. The one I have looks similar but no brake. The early run of that model didn't have one.

... Does it have the old school metal toggle power / kill switch Jay ?

You can do your arm and shoulder a favor if you install an 046 rescue saw handle on those mule kickers .It doesn't flop around like some say if you wind the rope right .I fractured a bone in my hand from a mule kicker 084 with a t handle pull .I could predict the weather for about 6 months over that deal .:(

I think they went a little overboard with decomp valves when they started to put them on fifty some cc saws.

:|: Husky 163...

Did a removal and the guy that hired me brought out an old 163S (63ccs). S is for? Saying he couldn't get it to start, I pulled off the plug and pulling the starter must have shot gas into his yard ten times....I mean way into his yard! Stinky gas too. If I hadn't noticed that the old bar on it had no wear, I'd never fallen for the line that I could take it home.

Anybody have a good way to remove gum from a gas tank? Hose was melted in there too. Lots of compression, it started up for a second with fresh gas added to the cylinder. One of those roll down the hill with no problem types, but not that heavy. I've seen worse, needs a carb kit and a hose and filter, maybe that's all.

Looks like it could be a good mid range saw. I like it, it has an interesting throttle arrangement, I think we're becoming friends! Anybody ever have one?

163S has points. One of the last good saws with points. Then came the CD versions that had no points.
I have a couple of them and the other 60cc models in the 160 family.
Rear handle is pretty unique as it is this, 1100 and 380 that has it.

Hoses melt as there is additives in fuel the rubber no like, They are easily replaced.

Throttle linkage with the sping is to kill any vibrations traveling along the rod. A bonus was that it helped to not bend rod as tank moved.

This in pic has chain brake, but it was optional in most areas but here I think.

I think they went a little overboard with decomp valves when they started to put them on fifty some cc saws.

There was a point to this, or several actually.
First was to save starter housings as they broke a lot on the 50Rancher and others. Later ones (50/51/55) had decomp optional. Dealer ordered with or without.

Back