Thread: Full Wrap vs. 3/4 Wrap?

Snoop Dog Rap ... My fave

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FireFighterZero View Post
    I like a 15/16ths wrap.
    You must be French!!!

Treehouser

Quote Originally Posted by Skwerl2 View Post
    I like making low stump cuts because my stump guy charges me less. I'm also fairly ambidextrous handling a saw so it really doesn't matter not having the extra handle on the sprocket side. I prefer keeping one hand on the rear handle and one on the top of the top handle, left or right makes no difference. Also the full wrap handle makes it a pain in the ass to pull the sprocket cover for cleaning or chain swaps. If somebody gave me a saw with a full wrap handle I'd buy a regular handle for it.
    I thought so too, on all points, but I was wrong.

It is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by squisher View Post
    Cory if you are doing this by switching hands. Remember every time you run a saw left handed it is not how the saw was designed.

I am left handed and it's great to be ambidextrous, but as soon as you cut left hand on trigger you are nine times out of ten putting yourself in a worse position for kickback.

3/4 wrap was on everyone of my saws except for the top handles.

Yes I can switch hit on a saw no problem, and sometimes it's nescessary. But 3/4 wrap gives you the most, safest, ergonomic, positioning options possible.

As for cutting stumps. I never had an issue cutting as low as I liked with a 3/4 wrap and I was the one grinding the stumps.

I found the only thing I didn't like about a 3/4 wrap is if somehow you got your hands on a 1/2 wrap it can be kind of dangerous going for the 3/4 section when it's not there.
    This is all correct, so listen and learn, kids. All the other stuff is noise.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Treehouser Sponsor

I got my stumps as low as I wanted, yesterday.

I bet they spend the money on grinding. Koi pond business in yard. Pics today. Koi, not stumps.

Every blue moon or so, the PNW get's something right & you gotta run with it
    Great for climbing & felling in general, especially as I am left handed, but my forestry saws still wear normal handles- I'd be slung off site in a heartbeat leaving stumps high.
    As you can see I am playing my favourite game of attempting to dry all my shit out before tomorrow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0469.jpg  

Treehouser

Quote Originally Posted by pete mctree View Post
    Every blue moon or so, the PNW get's something right & you gotta run with it
    Great for climbing & felling in general, especially as I am left handed, but my forestry saws still wear normal handles- I'd be slung off site in a heartbeat leaving stumps high.
    As you can see I am playing my favourite game of attempting to dry all my shit out before tomorrow!
    If 2" is a concern, a quick boot kick where the wrap portion of the handle would touch the ground will fix that.

Treehouser

Quote Originally Posted by Burnham View Post
    This is all correct, so listen and learn, kids. All the other stuff is noise.
    Thanks for your comment Mr. Burnham.
    - Robert
    Quit city job... Slowly trying to begin getting into tree removals and firewood sales as a steady part-time job.

Quote Originally Posted by hseII View Post
    If 2" is a concern, a quick boot kick where the wrap portion of the handle would touch the ground will fix that.
    In ideal circumstance, rocks and root flares, rock hard ground don't kick well.
    Willie
    Southern Oregon Tree Care,LLC
    Pruning is one of the best things an arborist can do for a tree but one of the worst things we can do to a tree. Shigo

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Somebody really needs to measure the difference in width between a 1/2 wrap and a 3/4 wrap?

I ran my business for almost a decade with stumpgrinding as a service and never once considered running 1/2 wraps because I couldn't dpcut a stump low enough. Just my experience with it.