Cedar Rigging

RegC

TreeHouser
Job from earlier this week. Took me and Dave all day. Shrubs and sprinklers underneath. The big fir behind lent a hand.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Idv4J9mujA8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sure. We have the Dual bollard to control the lines at the base of the big fir tree behind.
download.jpg

The zip line goes from the bollard, up through a block in the fir, then through/past the cedar and is tied off at the landing down by the chipper.

The control line, again starts at the bollard, goes up through a block in the fir, 2 ft below the first block, then is tied off at the pulley which slides up and down the zip line. But I tie it an leave a very long tail, which I then use to rig the logs each time.

So Dave locks off the zip line each time, and let's the logs run with the control line until he's over the landing, then he releases the zipline etc.

The control line is also a haul back line to get the rigging back me. Pics would've been better, but I didn't think to take any. It's a really simple setup.

Very nice, and thank you for explaining it. Quick question tho, does locking of the speedline first subject it to shock loads? Or is the control line taking the weight up first? In other words, do you tension the control line to take the weight, and then the speedline just guides it? That looked awesome and is a super useful technique, I just don't understand it fully yet. I've always been too scared to use a speedline for larger chucks because I thought there was shock loading and the angles caused huge loads on the rope, but understanding how to do it safely would be so awesome. :)

Very nice, and thank you for explaining it. Quick question tho, does locking of the speedline first subject it to shock loads? Or is the control line taking the weight up first? In other words, do you tension the control line to take the weight, and then the speedline just guides it? That looked awesome and is a super useful technique, I just don't understand it fully yet. I've always been too scared to use a speedline for larger chucks because I thought there was shock loading and the angles caused huge loads on the rope, but understanding how to do it safely would be so awesome. :)

Both lines are sharing the weight here, to an extent. Any kind if fall/arrest rigging is a shock load, but so long as you don't overload the system it doesn't really matter.

Man, that was one of the prettiest jobs I've ever seen. I'da smashed the odd rhodie fer sure. Such a pretty day, too. Really good job, Reg.

Nice explanation. Cheers Reg.

I think I remember seeing similar in a big ish tree you did in the UK years ago. Was this the same setup? or did you refine it as IIRC the two guys on the Uk job couldn't see each other due to the obstacle you were zipping over.

Nice explanation. Cheers Reg.

I think I remember seeing similar in a big ish tree you did in the UK years ago. Was this the same setup? or did you refine it as IIRC the two guys on the Uk job couldn't see each other due to the obstacle you were zipping over.
Same deal Rich. But there's just me and Dave on this job, and much less mass to deal with. Thanks

Back