Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Rigging

Default Cedar Rigging

Job from earlier this week. Took me and Dave all day. Shrubs and sprinklers underneath. The big fir behind lent a hand.

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

Nicely done Reg. Nice to have a good tree you could rig off. Floating those logs down is sweet.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

Can you explain the system you were using for the speedlining it the wood?
    -Sean

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Nothing like having a helper tree in the right place!

Sure. We have the Dual bollard to control the lines at the base of the big fir tree behind.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	79533

The zip line goes from the bollard, up through a block in the fir, then through/past the cedar and is tied off at the landing down by the chipper.

The control line, again starts at the bollard, goes up through a block in the fir, 2 ft below the first block, then is tied off at the pulley which slides up and down the zip line. But I tie it an leave a very long tail, which I then use to rig the logs each time.

So Dave locks off the zip line each time, and let's the logs run with the control line until he's over the landing, then he releases the zipline etc.

The control line is also a haul back line to get the rigging back me. Pics would've been better, but I didn't think to take any. It's a really simple setup.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    Nothing like having a helper tree in the right place!
    Yep, the big fella was perfect. I'd hire him if only he were mobile

Very nice, and thank you for explaining it. Quick question tho, does locking of the speedline first subject it to shock loads? Or is the control line taking the weight up first? In other words, do you tension the control line to take the weight, and then the speedline just guides it? That looked awesome and is a super useful technique, I just don't understand it fully yet. I've always been too scared to use a speedline for larger chucks because I thought there was shock loading and the angles caused huge loads on the rope, but understanding how to do it safely would be so awesome.
    Kyle

Thanks Reg, very slick
    -Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Tree09 View Post
    Very nice, and thank you for explaining it. Quick question tho, does locking of the speedline first subject it to shock loads? Or is the control line taking the weight up first? In other words, do you tension the control line to take the weight, and then the speedline just guides it? That looked awesome and is a super useful technique, I just don't understand it fully yet. I've always been too scared to use a speedline for larger chucks because I thought there was shock loading and the angles caused huge loads on the rope, but understanding how to do it safely would be so awesome.
    Both lines are sharing the weight here, to an extent. Any kind if fall/arrest rigging is a shock load, but so long as you don't overload the system it doesn't really matter.