Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wind shear pig nut hickory

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKroll View Post
    Sounds like hickory has mad fiber strength. Seems like you might have the top pulling on the trunk if the top's weight is a greater force than the tips supporting it pushing against the ground, or pushing it, if there is a lot of pressure on the limb tips. Seems like you could just nip off the tips to make it neutral or pulling with the weight of the top, then flop it perpendicular to the trunk/ bent over top, with a big hinge, and dozer pull. Likely other factors in play.
    This was my idea. Set your rope as high as you can, make either a snap cut or notch with high back cut 90 degrees out from the top and then pull it over with the tractor.
    -Brian

Yes I think it has to go from the top down not from the grounded limbs .If you look at the second picture that limb is basically held in place from the weight of the fallen top .If I can snatch it out with any luck with more more fiber that's left it will drop .
    If it doesn't fall I'll either wait until Tom is not so busy or shoot a line up to it .You know I don't do this stuff every day so whatever is the safest that's what I'll do .I'm a rigger,never once said I was a climber or arborist ..Know some.not all .

I got the limb jerked loose,damn tree is still stuck though .I used a snatch block and a two part line because all I have is a 26 HP Ferguson TO 20 that was brand new in 1951.Needs all the help it can get .
    Started to rain,Bud Light time .

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

I wondered if you could just tear the top off with your tractor. Glad you got it worked out, Al. By stuck, I guess you mean that the trunk is still standing?
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

No the top is still hung but here isn't much fiber left to it .I think one little tug will get it .I'll attack some of the grounded limbs with the pole saw .They are under tension .If they snap back with a pole saw at least they won't try to take my head off .

There's one limb which looks pretty stout .If I can get a snatch block on it I think it will be strong enough to hold the pull .
    This is a pain in the arse .A hundred footer is no problem because I've layed a lot of them down but the damned things were in one piece not all busted up .

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

fall it sideways with the tractor and a felling cut,
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

definitely do that if you can.

This is a very simialr situation.. client wanted to leave the snag for habitat, so I had to climb it and side notch it...

better like this if you can

All good info except I don't have the cahoonas to do that way .I did another one,much smaller with a hanging top,not on the ground ,fact I had the pictures on here .It was only half this size .
    This one has 3 tons of top over my head .If I screw up it might be the end of me .I've got a plan but it rained a frog drowner today,mud yuck .

Sorry All,what's a fence post?