Wind shear pig nut hickory

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
I had mentioned this on another thread .Big storm front pushing ahead of it either wind shear or gust-nado conditions that can often reach 110 miles per hour .Snapped the top out of this thing like it was a tooth pick .It was around 100 foot with about 40 left standing .
I might have to do some fancy rigging or it might just fall if I pull the big limb shown in the picture free with the tractor .If it does fall free I'll be 100 foot away from it when it does .I'm some dumb not plumb dumb .If the tractor won't get I'll put the dozer to it .It will either come or bleed with a crawler on it .No way on Gods green earth am I going to DSCN0133[1].jpg DSCN0134[1].jpg DSCN0135[1].jpg try and "fence post" this one down .Scares me and I'm fearless .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The last part of the post didn't come out right .I said or tried to I'll not try to "fence post" the top down .To damned big and too unstable . Pig nut hickory gets a large canopy as opposed to shag bark,those I have fence posted on occasion .Which BTW is not my favorite method to clear a blown top .

That's enchanting, Al, like what a young couple about to be married might like to walk under on their way to the alter.

Hickory is tough resilient stuff for sure.

I hope to save the trunk,standing up for lumber .They will stand up right for a long while before the roots give way .Which in this case might be a better option as I have no way to mill it other than a chainsaw at the moment .I can't imagine trying to chainsaw mill it .There's probably close to a cord of firewood in that top .

Every hickory storm job I have ever done has twisted off like that. I guess with the crazy tensile strength they have it's the only
logical conclusion. That or a rot pocket which I can't ever recall seeing in one...

Sounds like hickory has mad fiber strength. Seems like you might have the top pulling on the trunk if the top's weight is a greater force than the tips supporting it pushing against the ground, or pushing it, if there is a lot of pressure on the limb tips. Seems like you could just nip off the tips to make it neutral or pulling with the weight of the top, then flop it perpendicular to the trunk/ bent over top, with a big hinge, and dozer pull. Likely other factors in play.

Sounds like hickory has mad fiber strength. Seems like you might have the top pulling on the trunk if the top's weight is a greater force than the tips supporting it pushing against the ground, or pushing it, if there is a lot of pressure on the limb tips. Seems like you could just nip off the tips to make it neutral or pulling with the weight of the top, then flop it perpendicular to the trunk/ bent over top, with a big hinge, and dozer pull. Likely other factors in play.

This was my idea. Set your rope as high as you can, make either a snap cut or notch with high back cut 90 degrees out from the top and then pull it over with the tractor.

Yes I think it has to go from the top down not from the grounded limbs .If you look at the second picture that limb is basically held in place from the weight of the fallen top .If I can snatch it out with any luck with more more fiber that's left it will drop .
If it doesn't fall I'll either wait until Tom is not so busy or shoot a line up to it .You know I don't do this stuff every day so whatever is the safest that's what I'll do .I'm a rigger,never once said I was a climber or arborist ..Know some.not all .:)

I got the limb jerked loose,damn tree is still stuck though .I used a snatch block and a two part line because all I have is a 26 HP Ferguson TO 20 that was brand new in 1951.Needs all the help it can get .
Started to rain,Bud Light time .

I wondered if you could just tear the top off with your tractor. Glad you got it worked out, Al. By stuck, I guess you mean that the trunk is still standing?

No the top is still hung but here isn't much fiber left to it .I think one little tug will get it .I'll attack some of the grounded limbs with the pole saw .They are under tension .If they snap back with a pole saw at least they won't try to take my head off .

There's one limb which looks pretty stout .If I can get a snatch block on it I think it will be strong enough to hold the pull .
This is a pain in the arse .A hundred footer is no problem because I've layed a lot of them down but the damned things were in one piece not all busted up .:(

definitely do that if you can.

This is a very simialr situation.. client wanted to leave the snag for habitat, so I had to climb it and side notch it...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s8wZHaB5J6o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All good info except I don't have the cahoonas to do that way .I did another one,much smaller with a hanging top,not on the ground ,fact I had the pictures on here .It was only half this size .
This one has 3 tons of top over my head .If I screw up it might be the end of me .I've got a plan but it rained a frog drowner today,mud yuck .

Cutting off short pieces from the ground upwards .Usually on a tree that got hung into another one .You have to be careful doing it .<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eA5a3bIkHj4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Did you get it down Al? If not, how important is it to leave the spar standing? You've gotta be only an hour or so away from me. I could come out on a Sunday to give you a hand with it

It's not that important and I'm really not in a hurry.Fact as I type I'm going to try another approach in just a little bit .Thanks for the offer but I work seven days a week and I have no idea what time ,sometimes I get off .
I don't know if it will work or not .Shooting a wire pulling slug out of a slingshot with a 1/2" nut .If I can hit where I want then tying a #18 masons line to that,then a 1/4 nylon ,then the 1" 3 strand bull rope .You never know until you try .

Back