Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind shear pig nut hickory

Default Wind shear pig nut hickory

I had mentioned this on another thread .Big storm front pushing ahead of it either wind shear or gust-nado conditions that can often reach 110 miles per hour .Snapped the top out of this thing like it was a tooth pick .It was around 100 foot with about 40 left standing .
    I might have to do some fancy rigging or it might just fall if I pull the big limb shown in the picture free with the tractor .If it does fall free I'll be 100 foot away from it when it does .I'm some dumb not plumb dumb .If the tractor won't get I'll put the dozer to it .It will either come or bleed with a crawler on it .No way on Gods green earth am I going to Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0133[1].jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	434.0 KB 
ID:	79530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0134[1].jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	337.8 KB 
ID:	79531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0135[1].jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	435.1 KB 
ID:	79532try and "fence post" this one down .Scares me and I'm fearless .

The last part of the post didn't come out right .I said or tried to I'll not try to "fence post" the top down .To damned big and too unstable . Pig nut hickory gets a large canopy as opposed to shag bark,those I have fence posted on occasion .Which BTW is not my favorite method to clear a blown top .

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

That's enchanting, Al, like what a young couple about to be married might like to walk under on their way to the alter.

Hickory is tough resilient stuff for sure.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

I hope to save the trunk,standing up for lumber .They will stand up right for a long while before the roots give way .Which in this case might be a better option as I have no way to mill it other than a chainsaw at the moment .I can't imagine trying to chainsaw mill it .There's probably close to a cord of firewood in that top .

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

GOOD firewood!!!

I'm with Jay, I think it look neat. Have fun pulling it all apart.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.”
    Vernon Law

Sam

MI-4209A

Every hickory storm job I have ever done has twisted off like that. I guess with the crazy tensile strength they have it's the only
    logical conclusion. That or a rot pocket which I can't ever recall seeing in one...
    "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson

That was straight line wind shear.

Sounds like hickory has mad fiber strength. Seems like you might have the top pulling on the trunk if the top's weight is a greater force than the tips supporting it pushing against the ground, or pushing it, if there is a lot of pressure on the limb tips. Seems like you could just nip off the tips to make it neutral or pulling with the weight of the top, then flop it perpendicular to the trunk/ bent over top, with a big hinge, and dozer pull. Likely other factors in play.

Hickory is like concrete.