Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a Good Way to Attach a Pull Line to a Trailer Hitch on a Pickup Truck?

I usually hang something on the pull line if it is going to be a heavy pull - a coat usually. It is amazing how much energy is stored in a line prior to failure
    To gain that which is worth having, it may be necessary to lose everything else.
    Bernadette Devlin

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Or like when I pulled my barn down with my tractor, I wore a motorcross helmet and a big baggy winter jacket. You know just in case.

I duck down behind my mini when its time. I've broken one old rope with the mini, right at the knot, in a no-worry situation. I was happy to have a lot of steel between me and it.

Why would you re-think it, Butch?

One item of clothing would seem to only effect the one side of the break.

I have a 4x8 sheet of plywood cut into (4) 2'x4' panels, hinged with para-cord. I've slipped the rope through a gap in the folding screen at the pulling area and into my Maasdam. The hinging nature of the screen allow it to bend and self-support.
    The screeen is dirt cheap, and useful for all sorta of things. 3/8". Last week, used it two layers thick over an exposed irrigation hose for the Arbor Trolley to roll over. Stump grinding screen. Various shielding, like over lights shining up at the base of the tree, windows, etc. Backstop for chipping on-site.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

If it's a SOP safety thing, no problemo.

But if I thought I was actually gonna break the rope, that's when I'd want to rethink it.

I think of it as added safety in case something unforeseen happens, still keeping in mind the WWL.

I remember really covering the winch cable on the front of the bucket truck once, when it was really tight. I was ducked down behind the dashboard operating the winch. No problem, extra insurance.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

It makes plenty of sense!

I built a bollard that plugs into the hitch receiver. Works good for pulling or lowering.
    Ray
    In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. - Galileo

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

That would be the best way to do it.
    Unfortunately my truck doesn't have a hitch reciever.
    Deyr f,
    deyja frndr,
    deyr sjlfr et sama;
    ek veit einn,
    at aldri deyr:
    dmr um dauan hvern.

If there's another Tree around I anchor to ... Truck pulls and anchors are last resort to me if I'm running the show. Big shackle makes the day though when it's someone else's show who prefers the Truck. ( Ball , even Pintle hitches just aren't designed for anything but trailering IMO )

I flip my pintle hitch, pulling up into the hook, rather than against the gate, if I don't have a horizontal pull.