Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a Good Way to Attach a Pull Line to a Trailer Hitch on a Pickup Truck?

Quote Originally Posted by sotc View Post
    Order 150-200' of half inch stable braid. Might hurt at first but good equipment always does. 10k breaking.
    Thanks Willie. I've got some 3/4"(?) (what I believe is) stable braid.
    I like the idea of the rope puller (for smaller things) because I can control it a little better than pulling with my pickup.
    But I definitely appreciate the idea of having *more* heavy-duty than less.
    - Robert
    Quit city job... Now, slowly learning and doing in general direction of some kind of tree work.

Quote Originally Posted by Altissimus View Post
    Tirfor over Truck for me , between traction issues and communication , plus slop in the drive train I feel more confident w out rocking the work on the hinge.
    ha, maybe one of these days for the Tirfor.
    I'm a very small operation.
    - Robert
    Quit city job... Now, slowly learning and doing in general direction of some kind of tree work.

Quote Originally Posted by sotc View Post
    Probably hang the porty directly on the ball or small pintle
    Ok. I get it now. Thanks!
    - Robert

Quote Originally Posted by murphy4trees View Post
    I've used a porty plenty when available. I had a monster shackle that I haven't seen for a while, given to me by a customer. I liked that for a connector to a pintle hitch because it was a little fatter, big enough to fit over the ball on a combination hitch (ball and pintle), and would never slip out of a loose pintle. So that was quick, easy and reliable..

When there is no pintle or porty and all you have is a ball hitch for half inch line, I use a doubled bowline, which is like a bowline on a bight, except it has three loops instead of two. Doubled bowline is a great midline knot, the only problem it can have is if one of the tree loops slips off the anchor, then it will lock up hard! And there is a tendency for one loop to slip off a ball hitch, when just laid over top of the ball, especially with a high angle of the pull line. So it's much better to drop the three loops over the side of the bar, using the ball to hold the top of the loops and the nut on the bottom of the ball to hold the bottom of the loops... ( a picture would be so much easier) Then to ensure that one of the loops doesn't slip off, use the tail of the rope to whip the loops with a couple of doubled half hitches.... Again picture would be better...

Fairly quick and easy, and 100% reliable, and will never lock up...
    I think I get this concept exactly from your description, murphy4trees. Thanks!
    - Robert

Quote Originally Posted by pantheraba View Post
    Here is one years ago when Alex and I used a porty on his Bronco to belay a broken limb:
    Thanks Gary. That picture with the portawrap affixed to the bumper with that large carabiner device totally explained what I wasn't getting. Thanks!
    - Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Skwerl2 View Post
    I've seen people hang a big towel or something over the pull rope as a precaution against the rope breaking and whipping back into the pull vehicle.
    Thanks Brian. Yes I have too and I have done it before, and heard it a lot, but something in me always is wondering if this is a real thing or just an old wives tale if it really works.
    But thanks for reminding me!
    - Robert

I've seen people hang a big towel or something over the pull rope as a precaution against the rope breaking and whipping back into the pull vehicle.
    You can use chaps, ropes (including the one you're winching with, etc to this end. Good point to bring up, Brian.

An emt I know arrived at an truck in ditch scenario. The teens had used a second truck and attached to the bumper ball, or something. Pulled and ripped the ball of the of the stuck vehicle bumper, and it flew into the cab of the pull vehicle, killing an 18 y.o. (or close to that story).

FWIW 3 strand nylon has about 70 percent elongation limit.The strands will be about parallel .Way back when I wore the bell bottom blues we used to splice 17" of white line ahead of our eye splice ,spaced at 10" apart on our 2" nylon mooring lines .When those strands were just about parallel the white line was tight .Made me a tad bit nervous .

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

If I had to do that, I would try to rethink my Plan.

The towel/chaps thing over the wire/rope is a standard practice for winching (at least it was when we did some stuff about it at college)
    From the supreme commander of Project Earth transition.

Mick