Remembrances from days of youth

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
Anybody remember when soft drink bottles came in machines where you lifted up the lid and the drinks where immersed up to their necks in cold water in a rack? Putting in your money opened up a lock and you could slide the bottle out of the rack and lift it from the water. Who knows what was in the water it was dark, but drinks were really cold! Bireleys grape, yeah!

Some stuff you could buy at a hobby shop called Bangsite. A kind of gunpowder paste that came in a tube, and no age restriction. Great for blowing up stuff, children had their needs, but I wonder how many kids might have blown off their fingers too? It was the days of building models just to blow them up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ha, I remember candy cigarettes. I'd forgotten! They kind of had a chalky taste at first.

Candy cigarettes, and the soda machine with a hole punch because the cans didn't have pull rings.

A drug store with a lunch counter. They brought you your milkshake in one of those big metal cup things that they stuck in the mixer, poured your shake and sat the container down next to it because it was still about a third to half full.

They still do that Jay, at a restaurant in the big town over west.

Last year I asked my Kiwi wife if she wanted a cheeseburger and a milkshake. She looked at me funny.

She understood after she tried it.

Of course you guys remember "cruising". Kids dont do that anymore. We thought we were cool as hell when we bought CB radios.

I did not get to town much as a kid. Most of my memories are out in the country.

Motorcycle, .22, and a fishing pole.

I remember that type of machine, Jay, but I don't remember the water part.

I remember getting a dime a week for an allowance. 8 cents for a comic book and 2 cents for a tootsie pop to suck on while I read it.

My dad was a cheapskate.

I remember all of those things...wait...no...that is stuff OLD people remember...now as I think on it, I can't recall a single bit of any of that.

:D

:lol:

It'll have to be after the sunseeker camping trip, Jim. And by then, I'll certainly have forgotten your prescription.
8)

The little market nearby my house had a tall, glass candy counter. There was a 1 cent, 2 cent and 3 cent shelf. You told the ancient Italian grandma type what you wanted, and it went into a small paper bag.

The gas pump during the energy crisis of the late 70's said "PUMP REFLECTS HALF GALLON PRICES". Pumps weren't made to go over a dollar a gallon for a long, long time. Changed in my lifetime.

My friend and I bought Carlton 100s for his mom, with a note.

Engine oil cans that pierced with the funnel. Don't remember if this was something I've seen or seen pictures of. Seems like when I was really young, late 70s.

I can remember quite a few things, but I'd be here all night.

I did have one of these. It was amazing, I used to take it to bed every night.

3-4_Vew.jpg

Sean, I remember those oil can spouts. We used those at a gas station that I worked at, sop. I also remember gas stations having a lot of give aways of one sort or another. Usually checked under the hood too, unless the customer said not to. Sold a fair amount of oil that way. You got good at opening radiator caps on hot engines.

I remember gas station give aways, Esso gave away small glasses with lots of flags on them. Looking under the hood AND pumping the gas for the customer. I still don't pump my own gas, well maybe once every 7 years or so.hehehe, very spoiled.

It was the days of building models just to blow them up.

I loved blowing up models. I was a generation to late though. I had to harvest match heads and stuff them into appropriate containers. What I wouldn't have given for some actual explosives as a ten year old. :whine:

I'm not that old really but the most amazing thing to me is the big phone changes. In one generation we've gone from stretching the cord around the corner for privacy when I as twelve. To my daughter at twelve who, like most nowadays, would view having a mobile phone as a basic 'right' or amenity.

I remember gas station give aways, Esso gave away small glasses with lots of flags on them. Looking under the hood AND pumping the gas for the customer. I still don't pump my own gas, well maybe once every 7 years or so.hehehe, very spoiled.

Neither does my wife! I am the attendant.

Then she wonders at the end of the month where all the gas has gone out of the bulk tank. Uhhhhh.......in your car?

This was my favorite xmas present when I was in the 2nd grade. It somehow disappeared after my dad realized it cost money to buy new batteries.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ePDpdhOPIsM?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My dad is a couple years older than you Steve. I asked him one time about a crystal set, but he did not remember having one.

They got electricity in '54, he would have been about 10. They got a radio soon after. I think it was a while yet before they got a TV.

One thing that always sets dad off is old radios, either in houses or cars.

He never misses an opportunity to tell me that in the old days a radio needed to warm up before the music started. None of this twist the knob and instant sound. Especially when watching movies......and the radio comes right on. He says "it did not work that way!!!!!!!!" "had to let the tubes warm up!"

Really gets him going for some reason.

Back