Remembrances from days of youth

I remember the first household in our neighborhood getting a color TV...any guess where all us kids visited to watch cartoons on at morning?

Attaching old playing cards onto fender struts on our bikes so they would click against the spokes when the wheel turned.

Plenty of kids got hurt trying to run those new plastic sleds with no runners down our regular hills in the woods.

Party lines on the phone.

The start of bussing kids to different schools.

Nailing things by hand

points & condenser

real people for information and operator on the phone

waiting for an expected personal letter to come

catching crawfish in the creek

The dislike of having to put shoes on to go someplace with my parents during the summer

Dad singing

I still have lots of points on the farm.

The operator lady used to get tire of me.....but there was no one else to talk too.

I remember pinochle parties, country dances, having guns in your pickup so you could shoot gophers on the way home from school.

I loved blowing up models. I was a generation to late though. I had to harvest match heads and stuff them into appropriate containers. What I wouldn't have given for some actual explosives as a ten year old. :whine:

Amen brother! My favorite was black powder, aluminum window screen, roll electrical tape, and some cannon fuse.

Remember how stinky car, bus, truck exhaust used to be? Leaded gas. Having to slow down and move over when you met another car on a country road. Marble reflectors on road signs.

Bumper cars that would actually get a good bump out of. $20z's. Concerts being so cool. Filling a car tank for $5 or putting a couple bucks up for gas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Attaching old playing cards onto fender struts on our bikes so they would click against the spokes when the wheel turned.

:thumbup:

A friend of mine's girlfriend was a telephone information operator. I'd be over at his house and he'd keep calling info until he got her, by recognizing her voice, then he'd give her a hard time. I don't think you could call and simply ask for her.

Another memory from the gas station...

One evening one of my co-workers rolled a tire across the busy four lane boulevard and right through the open door of Babe's Bar, directly on the other side of the street. A perfect shot, it was kind of a biker's bar. Nobody came out of the bar, but a minute or so later that tire got rolled back out the door and came directly back to us. Fortunately no cars were coming. Never forget that!

Coming home everyday from grammar school for lunch, then going back. Do they let kids do that now? I guess that moms were pretty much home then.

X-ray macines in shoe stores to check the fit of kid's shoes. You stood on a little platform beneath a wooden box like affair and the shoe salesman or parents could look through some window things on the top of the machine. It must have been bad for kids, but the salesmen could only have gotten a good dose of radiation doing that often, or maybe just having it in the stores. Probably caused more than a few cancer cases. People were fascinated with radiation. After some years they all got pulled. I don't think I was ever tall enough to stand on the platform and at the same time look through the glass at the top to see what you saw, but I remember an eerie green light, so maybe I got my mom or brother to and I climbed up. :D

Attachments

• shoe-fitting_1-1.jpg
    shoe-fitting_1-1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 14
Butch, bout twenty years ago I watched my father and son sorting some boxes of junk at his shop when they came upon some ol 8-tracks. My son asked him if he still had the Nintendo system that they went to, lol. Neither one had a clue what the other was talking about. Kinda put in perspective my position in their tech gap. I got a chuckle out of'em.

Back