Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remembrances from days of youth

It'll have to be after the sunseeker camping trip, Jim. And by then, I'll certainly have forgotten your prescription.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

The little market nearby my house had a tall, glass candy counter. There was a 1 cent, 2 cent and 3 cent shelf. You told the ancient Italian grandma type what you wanted, and it went into a small paper bag.

The gas pump during the energy crisis of the late 70's said "PUMP REFLECTS HALF GALLON PRICES". Pumps weren't made to go over a dollar a gallon for a long, long time. Changed in my lifetime.

My friend and I bought Carlton 100s for his mom, with a note.

Engine oil cans that pierced with the funnel. Don't remember if this was something I've seen or seen pictures of. Seems like when I was really young, late 70s.

I can remember quite a few things, but I'd be here all night.

I did have one of these. It was amazing, I used to take it to bed every night.

I missed being able to buy Dynamite at the hardware store , for stumps ... Good Old Days

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

Sean, I remember those oil can spouts. We used those at a gas station that I worked at, sop. I also remember gas stations having a lot of give aways of one sort or another. Usually checked under the hood too, unless the customer said not to. Sold a fair amount of oil that way. You got good at opening radiator caps on hot engines.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    I can remember quite a few things, but I'd be here all night.

I did have one of these. It was amazing, I used to take it to bed every night.

Is that a crystal radio?
    Winter is coming.

Jim

I remember gas station give aways, Esso gave away small glasses with lots of flags on them. Looking under the hood AND pumping the gas for the customer. I still don't pump my own gas, well maybe once every 7 years or so.hehehe, very spoiled.
    I am umbilically connected to the temperate zone, it brought me life, it brought me love I never have out grown.

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by woodworkingboy View Post
    It was the days of building models just to blow them up.
    I loved blowing up models. I was a generation to late though. I had to harvest match heads and stuff them into appropriate containers. What I wouldn't have given for some actual explosives as a ten year old.

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

I'm not that old really but the most amazing thing to me is the big phone changes. In one generation we've gone from stretching the cord around the corner for privacy when I as twelve. To my daughter at twelve who, like most nowadays, would view having a mobile phone as a basic 'right' or amenity.

Captain Zero! Sponsor FireFighterZero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vharrison View Post
    I remember gas station give aways, Esso gave away small glasses with lots of flags on them. Looking under the hood AND pumping the gas for the customer. I still don't pump my own gas, well maybe once every 7 years or so.hehehe, very spoiled.
    Neither does my wife! I am the attendant.

Then she wonders at the end of the month where all the gas has gone out of the bulk tank. Uhhhhh.......in your car?
    Winter is coming.

Jim