What's a good pitch remover for rope?

Buddy

Treehouser
Working a job right now and the pine pitch is killing me. I literally have to pry my hands off my saw to get rid of it and my ropes are getting coated in it. I have one lanyard that is refusing to adjust, it just sticks!

So is there a rope soap that will cut the pitch?

Hank it up, blast it, stretch it out, rehank it, reblast it.

1st time soap, 2nd time rinse.

A 3rd rinse is optional.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My wife wouldn't be very happy if I put a bunch of pitchy rope in the washer. But she's leaving for a couple weeks....

Mechanical lanyard adjusters help a lot with this. I've given up trying to wash pitch off ropes. I just ignore it and eventually it goes away. . . haha

Excellent, In the past I have always used saw gas to clean pitchy handbars but I didn't want to compromise my ropes by using something that would damage them.

Thread on it somewhere here.

Goop hand cleaner was highly recommended I believe by Burnham. I bought some but haven't tried it.

Yep...and as stated, non-abrasive.

Pitch on ropes only goes away (sort of) if you never get into another pitchy tree for the next few years, imo :).

I did a little de-pitching this morning before work. Carb cleaner was on the shelf and that's what I used, worked well.

Pitch on ropes only goes away (sort of) if you never get into another pitchy tree for the next few years, imo :).
I was thinking, I've never just had it go away. Long leaf pines are the sovereign sap slingers in these parts and when that stuff gets on your climbing line it becomes a sticky, unmanageable mess.

Back