Stihl "2 in 1" File Guide for Chain Sharpening?

rfwoody

Treehouser
Hello,

Does anyone use the Stihl 2 in 1 File Guide for sharpening their chain?

I had heard some good things about it and just bought one, but now I see it is only for 30 degree teeth.
(I also have ripping chain to sharpen and I believe I have some chain with 25 degree teeth also).

So now I have some doubts and might return it.

Does anyone use this or know anything about it or other comments?

Thanks!

Robert.

I've had one, but I tended to not really use it much.

Give it a shot if you think it might work for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks MasterBlaster! ha, If it didn't cost $40 I would keep it with no hesitation :) ... also the depth gauge/raker file is proprietary and looks like it might be more expensive than simple flat files.
But it does look fairly foolproof. Currently I'm mainly using those simple flat Oregon file guides which I seem to get reasonable results from... but not quite "factory" or electric grinder results I don't think.

They seem to be gaining popularity...I might get one for the 150t and that teensy chain which can be a bit tricky to get just right

I tried them and can't say I like them. they are a bit too low in settings even if you happen to use the chain its designed for.

I'm guide dependent. Been using those little roller guides from Husqvarna for years and years. Love the results.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I use them. They do a great job and are fast and easy.

Thanks everyone. Although not real "technical" the feedback is helpful to me!
...also I am experimenting with the "multiple quote" reply option, so I'm not sure what it will do.
Thanks,
Robert.

Well, the multiple quote thing didn't work as I expected, but thanks all.

IDK how others do it. For two quotes, start with one quote by clicking the RwQ option, then "CUT" or "COPY" the quote, back out, go to the other post, and RwQ. You can "PASTE" the quote into that second RwQ text box.

To do more, you might copy the quotes and paste to another place (another window, or your email compose box, or MS word), then then Copy the whole lot, and paste into the last needed quote's RwQ.

IDK how others do it. For two quotes, start with one quote by clicking the RwQ option, then "CUT" or "COPY" the quote, back out, go to the other post, and RwQ. You can "PASTE" the quote into that second RwQ text box.

To do more, you might copy the quotes and paste to another place (another window, or your email compose box, or MS word), then then Copy the whole lot, and paste into the last needed quote's RwQ.

Thanks everyone. Although not real "technical" the feedback is helpful to me!
...also I am experimenting with the "multiple quote" reply option, so I'm not sure what it will do.
Thanks,
Robert.

Well, the multiple quote thing didn't work as I expected, but thanks all.

Click on the little box on the right of Reply With Quote on each one then click Reply With Quote and go advanced and you can see them. Then reply.

If that doesn't work copy & paste like Sean said. And I'm sure there's another thread about those guides.

I don't use any guides and honestly 25+ years ago now when I learned to file I had a hell of a time with it. My only real advice is find what works for you, and it may not be what works for someone else. I file in a very unique way that works for me. Also the best advice I had when I was learning to file was, never run dull. Never. As soon as you don't think the saw is cutting optimally, stop and file. Hell if you just filed and it doesn't cut right. Stop. File it again, double check angles, raker clearance. Never run dull or with a saw that cuts poorly. Sticking to this helps you get it sorted IMO, as you'll grow weary of filing incorrectly just to do it again.

Check your angles and stuff but also when learning stop and look at your cutters a lot. Learn what a dull one looks like and what a sharp one looks like. It'll help you learn to curl the file and put that razor sharp edge on.

Expect to make all the mistakes, to much hook, not enough hook, to much angle not enough angle, to high a raker to low a rakers. Making the mistakes is all part of the process.

Curling the file dates back to the time when the "cutting edges" on a round file were set in line instead of spiralled around the file like they are today.
Then you curled the file to avoid filing grooves.
Today it has no merit, except it looks cool.

Suit yourself, looking lame instead of cool. But I think it helps to wear the file evenly....I certainly don't need to do it to make me look cool. As well as I swear I can get that final edge just right when I'm curling the file just so.

But if Stig says it's so it's probably in my head, but it's how I file.

I've heard of filers not twisting/turning the file.

I've always twisted. It just seems the more natural way to do it...

Well if the new ones are spiraled you might leave grooves by turning it when filing unless you turn the right way. I just push it straight and every so often rotate it in the guide by 1/4 or 1/3 turn.

Back