Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stihl "2 in 1" File Guide for Chain Sharpening?

Quote Originally Posted by DMc View Post
    I use them. They do a great job and are fast and easy.
    Thanks everyone. Although not real "technical" the feedback is helpful to me!
    ...also I am experimenting with the "multiple quote" reply option, so I'm not sure what it will do.
    Thanks,
    Robert.

Well, the multiple quote thing didn't work as I expected, but thanks all.
    - Robert
    Quit city job... Now, slowly learning and doing in general direction of some kind of tree work.

IDK how others do it. For two quotes, start with one quote by clicking the RwQ option, then "CUT" or "COPY" the quote, back out, go to the other post, and RwQ. You can "PASTE" the quote into that second RwQ text box.

To do more, you might copy the quotes and paste to another place (another window, or your email compose box, or MS word), then then Copy the whole lot, and paste into the last needed quote's RwQ.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKroll View Post
    IDK how others do it. For two quotes, start with one quote by clicking the RwQ option, then "CUT" or "COPY" the quote, back out, go to the other post, and RwQ. You can "PASTE" the quote into that second RwQ text box.

To do more, you might copy the quotes and paste to another place (another window, or your email compose box, or MS word), then then Copy the whole lot, and paste into the last needed quote's RwQ.
    Quote Originally Posted by rfwoody View Post
    Thanks everyone. Although not real "technical" the feedback is helpful to me!
    ...also I am experimenting with the "multiple quote" reply option, so I'm not sure what it will do.
    Thanks,
    Robert.

Well, the multiple quote thing didn't work as I expected, but thanks all.
    Click on the little box on the right of Reply With Quote on each one then click Reply With Quote and go advanced and you can see them. Then reply.

If that doesn't work copy & paste like Sean said. And I'm sure there's another thread about those guides.

Actually there's two. This is the one I was thinking of, bit more info in it for you rfwoody. http://masterblasterhome.com/showthr...ght=File+Guide

Thanks Steve Mack, Sean Kroll, and all!
    - Robert
    Quit city job... Now, slowly learning and doing in general direction of some kind of tree work.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mack View Post
    Actually there's two. This is the one I was thinking of, bit more info in it for you rfwoody. http://masterblasterhome.com/showthr...ght=File+Guide
    This is a great one, Steve Mack. Thanks!
    - Robert

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    I like to use them when I think shit needs to be re-aligned.
    I do the same .

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

I don't use any guides and honestly 25+ years ago now when I learned to file I had a hell of a time with it. My only real advice is find what works for you, and it may not be what works for someone else. I file in a very unique way that works for me. Also the best advice I had when I was learning to file was, never run dull. Never. As soon as you don't think the saw is cutting optimally, stop and file. Hell if you just filed and it doesn't cut right. Stop. File it again, double check angles, raker clearance. Never run dull or with a saw that cuts poorly. Sticking to this helps you get it sorted IMO, as you'll grow weary of filing incorrectly just to do it again.

Check your angles and stuff but also when learning stop and look at your cutters a lot. Learn what a dull one looks like and what a sharp one looks like. It'll help you learn to curl the file and put that razor sharp edge on.

Expect to make all the mistakes, to much hook, not enough hook, to much angle not enough angle, to high a raker to low a rakers. Making the mistakes is all part of the process.

Is curling the file, the roll or rotation of the file?