Stihl "2 in 1" File Guide for Chain Sharpening?

Touche'

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off that way.

I have taught apprentices to file chains , fall trees, climb trees and all that stuff for the last 25 years.

Always with the focus on productivity.

That makes me somewhat allergic to things that supposedly makes our life easier but in the end kill the skills that are our stock in trade.

Did this post make my point more clear and less insulting?
If not, I'll gladly try again or if that doesn't work, hide behind the " English is not my native tounge" shield.

Stig- If it makes you feel better, I agree completely. Many of the different people I've worked with over the years eventually get tired of me trying to make them efficient at their various tasks and begin to resent me instead of appreciating the guidance. I guess that makes me an asshole. I've worked hard for many years at trying to make my work as easy and efficient as possible but most seem content to work twice as hard to do half as much. It drives me crazy!

But back on topic, I started out paying the saw shop to grind my chains. Then I bought one of those Stihl 12v grinders you clip to your truck battery. Then I eventually started filing by hand. I used a couple different guides at first but quickly moved away from them as I studied the chain teeth and paid attention to how I wanted them to look. Once you know what you're going for then the guide is useless and a hindrance. Just look at it, no need for a guide. The guide is good for somebody who has no idea what a sharp chain is supposed to look like or how to get it there.

It's all good, Stig,:). It would be quite boring if we all did and liked the same things.

Start with a good solid place to file leaning on saw some keeping position stable. Good light really helps when getting it down. Signed , freehand in Vermont.

Stig- If it makes you feel better, I agree completely. Many of the different people I've worked with over the years eventually get tired of me trying to make them efficient at their various tasks and begin to resent me instead of appreciating the guidance. I guess that makes me an asshole. I've worked hard for many years at trying to make my work as easy and efficient as possible but most seem content to work twice as hard to do half as much. It drives me crazy! .

OMFG, this!

Especially on my dime, with my hard-earned and well-treated tools (with the always given instruction to throw a tool clear if they are going to fall with it... Better off a broken tool than broken person).

Working alone is so low stress, never having to be ever-watchful of all the ways they can hurt each other, themselves, break or lose tools, etc. I hope driverless trucks come on the market SOON.

..... Once you know what you're going for then the guide is useless and a hindrance. Just look at it, no need for a guide. The guide is good for somebody who has no idea what a sharp chain is supposed to look like or how to get it there.

Brian, have you used a Pferd 2-in-1 guide?

Nope, haven't used any guide in 25 years. I used a couple different ones back when I was trying to learn how to file. IMO it would be like riding a bicycle with training wheels after you've already learned how to ride without them.

Well, your strong opinion is based on something you actually haven't used and you are posting assumptions. No matter, carry on.

Give it a shot Brian. I agree that one should know how to sharpen with out a crutch but when dealing with people who are there to collect a paycheck it works great.

Give it a shot Brian. I agree that one should know how to sharpen with out a crutch but when dealing with people who are there to collect a paycheck it works great.

If I had employees then it might make sense. But I'm good without it, carry on.

Well, your strong opinion is based on something you actually haven't used and you are posting assumptions. No matter, carry on.

Just to clarify, I've tried both that and the Stihl one.

When I do chainsaw courses for woodturners, I heartily recommend them.

For pro loggers, no effing way!

Just used mine this morning to refresh the edge on my 150. Love it! Fast and precise and I didn't even need to put my bifocals on.

Tools are only as good as what they can do. It is up to us to recognize when that will be an effort-saving benefit or a crutch that we lean on to fill a void in our education.

Stig- If it makes you feel better, I agree completely. Many of the different people I've worked with over the years eventually get tired of me trying to make them efficient at their various tasks and begin to resent me instead of appreciating the guidance. I guess that makes me an asshole. I've worked hard for many years at trying to make my work as easy and efficient as possible but most seem content to work twice as hard to do half as much. It drives me crazy!

I found Brian's ultrasound! 😂
4834a1d949edca4b9df88b5871891e73.jpg

Most important in filing is to know what it should look like and feel when you do it.
Angles, sufaces and edges. All this is impossible to learn if you don't have a good file.
I twist sometimes as I file to move pressue but not for it to cut better.

Here is how I do it with files. I file one stroke to clean gullet. Turn file 1/2 a turn so I don't push it in file and wipe after each tooth.
When file loose its bite, I wash it. This works several times.
When this isn't working I dip it in Apple cider vinegar and let it sit a minut with cutters up. Then wash it again.
This also work many times.
Only thing that kill files is vibrations from bouncing on hard surfaces.

Depth gauge is another thing to learn how to set. If set too low it is worse than having it high. It should be as high as possible so fiber is thin and curl up well.

There is no easy way to learn or magic handles... There is no limit to performance of a chain. It can always get better in some way.
To het a good result you muct know what it is, how it looks and then its just practice...

Back