Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: gotta get this one off my chest

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

I appreciate the response Daniel. Am curious still why you nipped the sapwood. What where your thoughts/reasons for doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by treebilly View Post
    Ok, besides the ugly notch, please enlighten us on the cuts to the sap wood. I may have missed it but I'm still confused as to when it became an urban legend. back to the original post. Why were you not using the comms? I remember you posting before on miscommunication with the skid steer operator and smashing another tree or something like that.
    If you had simply asked about the corner cuts on page 2 we wouldn't be here on page 10... But you want to criticize, and you're still talking shit, like you know something!

then don't come asking for my understanding.. Figure it out for yourself... I did! And its no big deal, pretty simple actually... learned from the school of hard knocks...
    I've been cutting trees since you were three years old.. That's given me plenty of time to make a lot of mistakes... And I learned from those mistakes.. Maybe... just maybe.. you can learn from yours too.

Quote Originally Posted by murphy4trees View Post
    If you had simply asked about the corner cuts on page 2 we wouldn't be here on page 10... But you want to criticize, and you're still talking shit, like you know something!

then don't come asking for my understanding.. Figure it out for yourself... I did! And its no big deal, pretty simple actually... learned from the school of hard knocks...
    I've been cutting trees since you were three years old.. That's given me plenty of time to make a lot of mistakes... And I learned from those mistakes.. Maybe... just maybe.. you can learn from yours too.
    Lame.

Pill taken. Done
    -Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Skwerl2 View Post
    No response on the poorly sharpened saw cutting crooked?
    I didn't sharpen the saw.. Barely used it.. Just showed up to put the tree on the ground.. Noticed it was cutting kind of funny.. Felt like it was biting pretty good sometimes, but not all the time.. Might be from the bar rails being off, or more likely a problem with the chain. I need to get some flat files... I haven't sharpened a chain in some time.. probably last year

Quote Originally Posted by squisher View Post
    I appreciate the response Daniel. Am curious still why you nipped the sapwood. What where your thoughts/reasons for doing it?
    I'm trying to play nice, but I'm getting nowhere.

try harder next time.. its too late for this one!

Quote Originally Posted by RegC View Post
    Dan, what did you say to Palmer in reply ? Was he saying that the tapered back hinge won't help keep a side leaner stay on course with the face cut ? or was he saying that on a fair standing tree, a tapered hinge won't make it deviate from the face ? Two different things. Is your article still viewable somewhere ? Thanks
    http://www.tcia.org/TCI-publications...-TCI-Mag_0.pdf

starts on pg 8

I just re-read the article.. it's actually a little embarrassing .. I've changed my techniques in some respects since then... worst thing about the article is the pictures. I didn't have a good one.. Palmer rightly pointed out that the mulberry hinge just blew up and really didn't hold .... I actually agreed with him on that one... I didn't argue with him when he definitely announced that the Germans had proved the tapered hinge is no good in holding against side leaners .... I would like to see the science... Still would...