New hire interview questions

I googled it. I probably coulda figured it out if the buckets were set in front of me.

But, I've never been good with riddles. My 'lil bro was a genius at em.

Imma maroon.

Me too, but I can't see how I could find this sort of answer in an encyclopedia. Perhaps I didn't practiced enough.

What are good questions for screening employees, particularly rookie groundies/ experienced groundies/ experienced climbers?

How do you suss out things like physical fitness and aptitudes?

A few years back we started doing things this way:

We put an ad on CL or somewhere. Everyone that calls gets an interview. I schedule them all at the same time. 30-40 calls means 1 or 2 will show up. When they get there I point to a big log that's about 30' from a pile of logs. I say, "Put that log ON the pile." If they get the log ON the pile, they move on to the next step.

I pay em' 50 bucks for their first day. They go out with the crew, the crew decides if they like them. I tell them, "Your job is to impress the crew, when ya'll get back, I'm gonna ask everyone if they want you on the crew". If the crew likes them I hire them.

As for experience, I don't think anyone has it. One guy came recommended by a guy I trusted, said he had 15 years experience doing trees. First day he dropped one tree on the neighbor's driveway and a few hours later dropped a tree on the neighbor's house. Then he walked off the job. I don't believe anyone can do anything until I've seen them do it.

Just My 2 Cents

A few years back we started doing things this way:
...I point to a big log that's about 30' from a pile of logs. I say, "Put that log ON the pile." If they get the log ON the pile, they move on to the next step...
Just My 2 Cents

How much does the log weigh?
Is this test for brawn only?... or brains and brawn? (i.e. figure out a way to get the log on the pile other than brute strength)

After running into a prospective ( he thought!) apprentice who couldn't start a MS661, because he couldn't pull the string on it, we have started asking them to start the MS880, just for fun.
Didn't work so good with Mathias, our present kid.
He just started that thing up like he'd never done anything else.
Not much fun in that for us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Robert, one of the best things you can do for this venture is develop your core-strength. All the rest of the muscles are probably more easily built-up, and already developed. Let's not focus on the production portion, think about the protection portion. Protect you back.

Hydrate, too.

Thanks Sean!
One thing I can say....I've got the hydration part down :)
I can easily drink a couple of gallons of water over a few hot hours.

The best screening process I've ever encountered was an add for "tree climber wanted" put up on the college job board at WWU. No company or persons name was given, just a number. If you called the number, nobody ever answered. Finally, I called the phone company and got the address and went there. When I arrived, they said I had passed the test and was hired.

As long as it's not a private residential number, they'll do it. Of course, nowadays you can just do a reverse address search online.

...Still curious about approx. weight of log.

Ah maybe 100 - 200 pounds. Something they couldn't pick up was all I was looking for. Usually they'd flip it end over end to the pile, then when it was "against" the pile they'd look at me, like "that's all you wanted, right?" Usually I'd just stare at them, till they figured out I meant ON the pile, not "next to", "beside", "leaning against". I just wanted to see if they could follow instructions, really.

Matter of fact, I used to tell my guys when they started out: "If you don't follow instructions, I'll fire you. If you won't follow instructions, I can't keep you safe on the job site, and I am NOT going to be the guy calling your parents or wife or girlfriend and saying, "Bob died today". I'll fire you LONG before you get the chance to do something stupid."

Back