bamboo crane

pantheraba

More biners!!!
This could really be part of this thread:

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?18858-Monkey-Slide-building-a-water-slide

but it is different enough I figured to put it in the rigging section. When you need an anchor point in open space you gotta do something. At first we thought we might make a tripod to hang a block off...Alex, my son, had the idea to use the bamboo to make a boom to hang a block. We raised our first timber two days ago...3 more to go. They will be the supports for a walk up ladder/ramp tower to the slide entrance.

Here you go:

Attachments

• bamboo crane  (25) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (25) RESIZED.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 55
  • bamboo crane  (1) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (1) RESIZED.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 55
  • bamboo crane  (2) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (2) RESIZED.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 55
  • bamboo crane  (3) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (3) RESIZED.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 53
  • bamboo crane  (4) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (4) RESIZED.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 55
  • bamboo crane  (5) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (5) RESIZED.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 54
  • bamboo crane  (7) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (7) RESIZED.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 54
  • bamboo crane  (8) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (8) RESIZED.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 54
  • bamboo crane  (9) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (9) RESIZED.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 53
  • bamboo crane  (10) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (10) RESIZED.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 54
  • bamboo crane  (11) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (11) RESIZED.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can see the timbers he made by the pool...a 20' and a 16' notched and overlapped 4 feet, through bolted and screwed with some kind of fancy coated screw. They are BAD heavy...he and I moved the one we raised...WAY easier to climb and top a tree. I told him to call all his firefighter friends to move the rest of them.:D

Attachments

• bamboo crane  (12) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (12) RESIZED.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 55
  • bamboo crane  (14) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (14) RESIZED.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 54
  • bamboo crane  (15) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (15) RESIZED.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 53
  • bamboo crane  (16) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (16) RESIZED.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 54
  • bamboo crane  (17) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (17) RESIZED.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 55
  • bamboo crane  (18) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (18) RESIZED.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 53
  • bamboo crane  (19) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (19) RESIZED.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 54
  • bamboo crane  (21) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (21) RESIZED.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 54
  • bamboo crane  (20) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (20) RESIZED.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 54
  • bamboo crane  (22) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (22) RESIZED.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 54
  • bamboo crane  (23) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (23) RESIZED.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 54
  • bamboo crane  (24) RESIZED.jpg
    bamboo crane (24) RESIZED.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 53
And here is a bit of video of the process:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/snOnAbF4DNY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's odd that although bamboo grows in some parts of the US, I don't think that much there has ever been used in making things, very unlike in Asia.

Attachments

• 3182258551_a5d91736eb.jpg
    3182258551_a5d91736eb.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 36
That's cool. Somebody had their thinking cap on.

Alex is a good thinker...a good one to have around when difficult things need to get done.

Burnham, our Moso bamboo is amazing. I planted it about 1998, it was about the diameter of a pencil. Today they canes are 60-70 feet tall and up to 8 inches in diameter. They will grow from 0 - 60 feet in about 4 weeks...very cool to watch them each year.

Yes...when they first sprout you can kick the culms over if you don't want them in a certain area but unless you stay on top of it you can have a big patch in a few years.

It's a beautiful plant, the way it sways in the wind and makes a pleasant rustling sound. Pigeons have a fondness for roosting up in it, but like Gary mentions, the way it spreads can really be a problem. The roots or rhizomes, whatever they are called, are very tough, even yanking out a small section can be a chore, and they will sprout on their own if cut from the parent plant. To contain the roots and prevent spreading, you need to put some kind of underground fence in the designated area that the roots can't pass through. Black bamboo is very pretty and it doesn't seem to spread like the more common variety. The black I see around seems to stay pretty small.

The rule of thumb around here is that bamboo is forever. I know many who have planted it, never met one who successfully got rid of it. 80% of those who have it would get rid of it if they could. Everybody likes it until they actually have it.

Jay is right about the black (Nigra) bamboo...it grows slower, not so big and slowly spreads. I planted my Nigra at the same time as the Moso...it is just now reaching 1 - 1.5 inches diameter, none over 20 feet tall. It makes beautiful canes.

Justin....here you go...these folks list a lot of species for Canada...even Moso which surprises me:

http://www.bambooworld.com/bamboo-plants

Awesome Gary! I think you are a big kid at heart.
BTW tell the guy to get some proper foot ware on.

That is awesome Gary, thank you for sharing. Rigging derricks like that improvised one is true rigging, a skill that is quickly disappearing in modern times. Awesome use of the bamboo too, something you don't get to see everyday here in the states.

Back