Carbon fiber pole saw

basswood was always my favorite......hard to find

easy to sand nice and smooth......light....

A guy was/is selling basswood poles on TB by the half-dozen, or something. Bought a ton in the past and retiring, or something.

Selling other stuff too

Looks like Sanford Maine.

14' round basswood.

http://www.treebuzz.com/forum/threads/14-basswood-poles.37600/#post-555879

Brush Bandit 250 XP chipper, 2008 F550 chipper truck, 16,000 car carrier/equipment trailer, I've got some odds and ends, cabling gear, 3/4" double braid line, stuff like that.

Reason I ask is my work right now is about 75% clipping Browntail moth nests. They only make nests at the very tips of branches, and the closest I can climb is often 20+feet below the tops. Using 3 yellow poles is killing my shoulders and I'm looking for 18 ft of lighter poles... Open to any suggestions

Not me Nick. (Good to see you posting a bit.)

I do have a set of three of the lighter weight blue poles Sean. Those are good for weight but very "whippy"/bendable. And I bent one feral by having that heavy duty 1 1/2" pruner head up there and bringing the whip to a stop too fast.

I would think the CF might be worth a try. (With the lighter 1 1/4" pruner head.)

Not familiar with the blue poles but if they are not strong enough to support the pruner head then they do not sound like they are very functional. No room on my truck for delicate flower tools. I've always used the yellow poles since that is what was available when I began buying them 20 years ago and they have held up well. I buy one or two every few years but I have some that are at least 10-12 years old or more and still going strong. I break one every once in a while when I get stupid but if you are careful to close the latches before putting them away they seem to last a long time.

The blue poles are more than strong enough to support the pruning head. This time of year mine get used a lot, fruit tree time. My yellow poles are left hanging in the shop.

I’d like to try the notch poles but I have quite a surplus of the yellow fiberglass plus wooden ones. I bought half of KK’s stock when they went to auction so I’m set for quite a few years.

I still have a problem with the fact that carbon fiber is such a good conductor of electricity. It seems a strong limiting factor when compared to KV rated fiberglass.

Reason I ask is my work right now is about 75% clipping Browntail moth nests. They only make nests at the very tips of branches, and the closest I can climb is often 20+feet below the tops. Using 3 yellow poles is killing my shoulders and I'm looking for 18 ft of lighter poles... Open to any suggestions

By the way, are you using the Fiskars 12 foot extendable pole pruner? If you want light, precise etc, that one is a must.
(NickfromWI told us about it.)

Notch of pole looks like it only mounts a saw head... Am I wrong?

Appears that way. If I can figure out an easy way to mate up the Situng (?) pruner head from Sherrill for the occasional handful of 28 foot snipping I want to do to finish off a job I think I will buy one this year.

I just saw a new model of the fiskars 12' pole pruner...looks like they may have paid attention to us, looks a bit more robust, its on the to buy list now.

I was thinking more about this. If I was tasked with this job I would switch to a lightweight and fine-toothed saw blade. They are a fraction of the weight and far easier to maneuver than a pruner and will work just as well at removing small tips. You will not get as perfect of a cut but so what?

I just saw a new model of the fiskars 12' pole pruner...looks like they may have paid attention to us, looks a bit more robust, its on the to buy list now.

I'll check out the new model. I haven't broken any of the older model yet (2 or 3 years of occasional use) and still have one new in packaging.

It.has a redesigned pull handle and a better clip to hold out the extension, might be a bit beefier in the cutting head too, hard to tell for sure. just over $200AUD. Previous model was $188.

Back