Carbon fiber pole saw

For employees never. But it's hard not to want/have the very best tools if you're doing it yourself.

I recall it was commonplace for employees to take risks with polesaws for some reason or other. The temptation to get that last bit so you don't have to climb, reposition, whatever. Would seem to override common sense of what an acceptable risk to a somewhat expensive piece of equipment should be. I've got a bunch of 'parts' out by my shop still for various silkys.

My aluminum pole saw (I only use it as a hook these days) has seen better days.

Here's the latest repair after a branch landed on it, broom handle insert.

Attachments

• IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 49
For employees never. But it's hard not to want/have the very best tools if you're doing it yourself.

I recall it was commonplace for employees to take risks with polesaws for some reason or other. The temptation to get that last bit so you don't have to climb, reposition, whatever. Would seem to override common sense of what an acceptable risk to a somewhat expensive piece of equipment should be. I've got a bunch of 'parts' out by my shop still for various silkys.

That and leave them right under a climber, beneath canopy where he can not see it... Clear? also means equipment and not just your head. WHat a concept.

Or run over it.. Mini can flatten pole saws pretty quick.

Well geez. I hardly ever use 2 six foot fiberglass poles plus a saw head cuz of the sloppiness in the connections I've experienced using that system in the distant past. So I use a 12 or 14' pole with the saw head ferrule and the pole ferrule are bolted together so there is zero play. A tad heavier but worth it imo. But I can't find those long one piece poles anymore.

Anyway, since my experience differs from other's, more power to y'all if the bottom-type connection works well for you. Keeping it simple is always a good thing.

Does anyone know where I can get 12'or 14' fiberglass poles? Thanks.

When I started out we would buy 1.25" wood dowel rod from Home Depot, whittle down the end to fit the polesaw head and then seal it with urethane.

My aluminum pole saw (I only use it as a hook these days) has seen better days.

Here's the latest repair after a branch landed on it, broom handle insert.
I have to say that the logs are gifted to find the pole saw too.
Once, I hide the big Silky under a pile of sleepers on a rail road park. A log from an alianthus ricocheted on an other log already on the ground, "ducked" under the pile, went straight to the pole and bent it.:angryfire:
An other time, I had cut out some dead suckers in a big declining Sophora japonica (heavily trimmed) and laid the pole flat on the ground, outside of the canopy, too lazy to tidy it up in the truck. Then, I climbed to piece the tree down. A banana shaped log hit the ground, rebounded with a fast rotation end to end, tumbling over 20 feet and landed on the poor pole.:banghead:

I can't no longer use the telescopic function of course (except 2 parts) and store it in 3 parts. Advantage, I put all the 4 parts together only if I have to. It's much more lighter to cut the lower limbs.

I put the new pole saw through its paces yesterday. I spent 2.5 hours limbing up 7 Doug firs from the ground instead of climbing them. The saw works great, even at its full length. No noodle effect at all. 17 ft is just as rigid and precise as 6 ft. With that much to do, I was very happy with how light it is. Also, I realized that the poles are not quite round except at the ends where they connect. In cross section, they are more like a triangle with the corners rounded off. It gives them a nice grip and quite a bit of strength. So far, I am very happy with it! Definitely the best pole saw I've ever used.

"no noodle effect at all" come on really?

Anyone try the carbon fiber poles from Bailey's? Traditional ferrule, 75$ for 6 feet. Not sure on the weight.

I have not used the Abormax poles but I have used the Jameson B-lite poles and they are good. Almost as light, are 100kv rated and cheaper.

I've never been able to use the sectionals.
Just don't like them...maybe never met the right 1.

Big 12 foot Jameson pole with big bite head.
And a 10 ft pole saw... bent of course.

I can see the merit of super lite poles.
Swinging around a pole clip for 8 hours pruning can really help stab those relaxed shoulders.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Are the Blite poles flimsy?...

Not at all. Lighter and stiffer than the yellow poles. I will use three 6' poles on a regular basis and the most flex comes from the connectors like Deva said. With just one or two poles they feel as light as a feather and are a joy to use. Much better than the big Silky's.

I'm not sure. Wood poles seem to be variable in weight and it has been a while since I had any but the B-lite feel noticeably light when you pick one up.

All this time I never knew they made 12’ fiberglass poles. A life saver for us. Searched the Jameson part number and yep, there’s plenty of choices. Will share shipping with a fellow and should be worth it.

Back