ART rope guide

Rob E

Treehouser
Hello just wanted to see how anyone felt about the ART rope guide, i am considering on buying it. But still it is a bit pricey. I am using the U-saver currently and it works alright except on the retrieval part. I have had it stuck up 60 feet in a maple tree i was trimming, to then have to set another rope to climb up to get it. So i can't say i am very fond of it but Any input would be great.
Thanks!

I was running the spiderjack a couple of years ago before getting into SRT and almost had myself convinced I needed one. Glad I didn't pull the trigger because it would be collecting dust right now.I Got a Rope wrench,a foot ascender and ditched the SJ for my old HC setup. Sorry not the answer you were looking for, But welcome to the TH !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for the welcome:). I found this awesome site out from Treestuff.com and some other searches i had done for tree climbing forums. Always nice to be able to ask a question or learn something new if i can.

Thanks for the reply climbhigh, i also have a single rope setup but i just haven't got to use it on many jobs.

We don't have as many members as the other forums. At first, that kinda bothered me, but now I think I actually like that. More like quality memberships over quantity.

Don't be shy about filling out your profile, Rob! :beer:

I tried the Rope Guide for 1 climb. At first I thought it was pretty slick and liked how it nearly eliminated friction at my tie in point. But then I noticed that it made my hitch perform a lot worse and I realized that splitting up the friction required to belay myself between the tie in point and my hitch was taking some of the load off my hitch. Using the Rope Guide put all of it on my hitch, causing it to perform differently. But I probably could have gotten used to it or adjusted my hitch somehow.

Welcome Rob. I have zero experience with the Art but I second what Butch said. Like most of the guys and gals on here, I've been on just about all the other tree sites but the folks here are fabulous. Burnham and Beranek have forgot more than the next best dozen climbers ever knew. A wealth of knowledge, skill and experience amongst all these folks and they're more than willing to help.

I tried the Rope Guide for 1 climb. At first I thought it was pretty slick and liked how it nearly eliminated friction at my tie in point. But then I noticed that it made my hitch perform a lot worse and I realized that splitting up the friction required to belay myself between the tie in point and my hitch was taking some of the load off my hitch. Using the Rope Guide put all of it on my hitch, causing it to perform differently. But I probably could have gotten used to it or adjusted my hitch somehow.

I had the same realisation with different setups using pulleys. Plus it puts more strain on your elbow when your tending slack, which no body wants. The ART stuff is really nice high quality and super spendy! KISS works for me, I love how simple and efficient my daily setup is.

Throw cube, rope, saddle, Bull dog bone, foot ascender.:thumbup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you guys for all the input! its great to be able to ask and share, i think i will keep on just using my U-saver when i would like to set up a friction saver. Its best to keep it simple too i agree. Most of the time i am doing removals so its not even needed but i wanted to see if anyone had any likes or dislikes on it and if it would be worth purchasing, ART does make nice stuff i use the SJ3 and it works very nice even after the little issue it had. Thanks again everyone!

Back