Help indentifying this rope.

dsptech

Treehouser
I picked a 360' hank of 1/2" rope on CL hoping it was Amsteel but I'm not 100% sure if it is.
I know its a 12 strand hollow core rope.
Each of the twelve strands has an outer core of very fine threads and an inner core that has stiffer and thicker translucent strands.
Guy said it came off a huge roll 1/2 the size of truck.
Very stiff and does not have any stretch to it.
It's a dull white in color and doesn't seem coated.

Samson says Amsteel floats.
I took about 6' feet of it and put in my my kitchen sink to see if it floats and it slowly sunk.
Later I cut a strand of it off around 4" long and it's floating.
It only floats due to the filament in the center of each strand.
Take the filament out and the outer fiber sinks.

After tons of searching and reading I leaning towards believing this is Amsteel 870 27,500 ABS (not Amsteel Blue 872 34,000 ABS ).
According to Samson docs the 870 version was made with Dyneema and Innegra Fibers unlike amsteel blue which is pure Dyneema.
I"m guessing the internal fibers are Innegra.
The only ropes I've found online that are 12 strand hollow core with mixed fibers are Amsteel 870 and ML-12.
Samson was one of the first rope companies to license the Innegra product.

That's all I got.
Hope one of you guys know what this is.

BILD3464.jpg

BILD3471.jpg

BILD3484.jpg

BILD3486.jpg

BILD3489.jpg

BILD3490.jpg

Not a problem, my friend. My name is Butch...

Don't be shy about filling out your profile.

If you hang around enough, you'll see how TreeHousers are a different breed...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will do.
Been lurking for a while getting educated from you fellers.
You guys crack me up.

Don't look like dyneema to me butt...

Is it really slippery when you try to cut it,hard to cut?

VWyRECL.gif

Thanks Sgriff.
@Butch, and girls too?

The rope feels dry in the hand due to the fuzzing maybe.
The cut and separated strands look slick in the pics.
The outer strands are soft and smooth when unraveled but the inner strands are really stiff.
The rope creaks when I make tight bends and move it around due to the inner strands.
Had to use a fine serrated knife to cut it, house shears can't get through it.

Lol, I thought I was getting scolded for saying "you guys" and left the girls out.

Good, concise problem you presented to the House, first thing. It'll stir some of these rope nerds up.

Welcome to the House, DSP.

I looked at your profile...your interests..."Tree tech, fabricating, electronics."

That'll make for some interesting conversations around here.:)

(what is DSP?)

The core looks like nylon monofilament and since it sinks, I'm guessing Samson RP 12 nylon. The RP 12 is used a lot for anchor line and other boating apps but I was given several hundred feet of it and have used it in a block for lowering when stretch doesn't matter.
Fabricator eh? You'll fit right in here. Welcome!

Thanks pantheraba for the welcome.

Butch hit the nail on the head.
DSP is my initials so I bit off "DSP Technologies" (maker of digital signal processors) for the name of my computer business for name recognition.
Learnt me that in Marketing 101. They got me back by snagging the domain name dsptech before I could (bastards) :banghead: .

Limbrat, thank you for the welcome as well.
The core actually does float, a length of rope will gradually sink.
I cut out a 4" short piece of stand with the core intact and that floated as well.
A short piece of the outer stand with the core removed with slowly sink.
I looked at the docs on RP-12 and the specs list the diameters starting at 3/4" and up to 6 5/8".
This rope is only 1/2".

I'm loving it here already.

Looks like Arborplex. Same construction anyways. . .

I was guessing arborplex as well... Can we get a pic of a freshly severed end? That would help to see how it's made. If it's arborplex it won't be a hollow braid, it's got a 3 as a core of I remember right. Not near the strength of amsteel, but decent low weight rigging line. Decent climb line too if you run a Blake's imo, but I wouldn't climb on craigslist rope. And welcome to the house!

Back