395XP gas tank replacement.

SkwerI

Treehouser
I have a 395XP that is probably ten years old. About 5-6 years ago the gas tank began leaking along the bottom seam where the two halves are molded together. After a year or so of ignoring it and putting it off, I took it to a local shop where the guy said he could plastic weld the tank and fix it. Picked it up a week later and all was well for about a year and a half and it started leaking again. So about 3 years ago I bought a replacement gas tank from Bailey's and promised myself I'd fix it soon. I kept putting it off thinking it was going to be a major project. Then other priorities came up, such as buying a house, moving, remodeling the new house, etc.

Anyway, this morning I decided to fix it. Dug everything out and it only took about 90 minutes. The worst part was pulling the fuel line through the tank and the plate that holds the carb. I used a piece of whipping twine and choked the end of the fuel line, stuck the twine through the hole and used it to pull the fuel line through. That worked amazingly well.

As you can see in the pic, Husqvarna changed the design of the tank to add material along the bottom seam so it wouldn't wear out or crack as easily. I have a big live oak removal on Tuesday which was my motivation for getting this fixed. Tired of having to add fuel every time I want to use it, and not adding too much fuel because it leaks out when you leave the saw sitting.

Attachments

• IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 47
Husky saws seem to be easy to work on. I have done nothing to my 395, although I think it needs to be adjusted. Its the only saw I run these days.

As the bottom of tank flex the joined halfs break in the weld.
The reinforcements help, but tank itself is stiffer now and I think that is what do the trick more than protect from beating. I think it is still not bulletproof...

I cut and glue in reinforcements (steel rod) with epoxy on those I get in that is possible to fix.
Done this on some 357's a couple 575's and 385s... Some Jonsereds too... Its always in the weld they break. Most in bottom.
Had one 576 that leaked in rear handle were I could not get too it easily, so I replaced that tank and later reinforced it when it started leaking.

Not so much to see, its a grey stripe..
I cut a groove with grinder and 3mm disk and put in a steel rod. Sometimes bike spokes, I have many of them, other times I use what I have at hand.
Then two component epoxy over all of it.
Its a epoxy stick that is for alumium, but work real well on this plastic too. The steel one gets too hard and I think it moves less so it cracks up.
I might have a 575 here, but mostly its custemer saws. I see if its still here.

Back