Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's a good deal on Stihl chains, and can soft chains be tempered?

Default Where's a good deal on Stihl chains, and can soft chains be tempered?

I like to keep extra chains available, so I always have a sharp one if another goes dull, and so I don't have to spend time sharpening on the job. Also if I don't have time to sharpen at home before working again, I'll still have extras. What got me in search of more chains now is how although loggerchain.com has great deals on Oregon chain, and Oregon seems to stay sharper for longer than it used to, just recently I sharpened one on the job then almost finished 2 cuts in a 40" maple when it went very dull. Luckily I had a stihl chain still sharp enough to fell the tree, but it isn't a skip chain which I want for faster sharpening, and at the time I couldn't find any stihl skip chains in the size I needed, not to mention the very expensive price.

Anyway, I was wondering if Oregon chains, and even cheaper and softer ones could be easily tempered with good results?

Also, knowing some of you make your own loops, or might know who offers good prices on custom loops, I'm looking for Stihl RSF 3/8 .050: two 105dl and two 135dl for $150 shipped. From what I've seen on ebay and knowing how ebay charges a lot of fees, this should be a good reasonable offer at least to a business since they get their chains cheaper.

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

Hardening chains....man I doubt it.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

I just bought a power match Oregon 28 inch bar and chain for 90 from bailey's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Treehouser Sponsor

I thought I paid about $300 for a reel of 100'of Stihl chainsaw from the dealer, "custom" spin to order, included.

I need to break down and buy/create the make my own chain station. Waaaaay cheaper by the roll.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Treehouser Sponsor

Ask the dealer for a price. Hard to beat free spinning. I've always run Stihl. At State Parks, softer Oregon... Lots and lots of nails.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanKroll View Post
    I thought I paid about $300 for a reel of 100'of Stihl chainsaw from the dealer, "custom" spin to order, included.
    Holy cow that's a bargain! Unless you're mistaken, which I think is likely. Six or eight years ago GASoline71 Gary was picking up rolls for me at one of those PNW logging supply houses and shipping it to me UPS. At that time he was paying about $300 per roll plus tax so it was about $400 for me by the time I paid UPS and a few dollars for Gary's time. My local dealers all want full retail prices which are almost the same as buying loops. I finally found a dealer willing to sell me Stihl chain at somewhat reasonable prices but it's still around $400 per roll, more for the 33RSF.

I prefer spinning my own loops. I always have chain and I can keep a couple extra loops on the truck at all times. No need to stop by the saw shop once a week and spend money because you ALWAYS end up buying more stuff than what was on your list.

Same theory in buying water and Gatorade at the grocery store and packing a cooler every day. No need to stop at the 7-11 every day for drinks and end up spending $5-10 every time you walk in the door.
    -Brian

Treehouser Sponsor

I'll ask. I don't use much chain, honestly. It's been a couple years, probably. Possibly 4.

I dont mind using softer (cheaper) chain, theres usually a stump to be cut most days so its gonna need a sharpening regardless. Different story if there's just clean wood to be cut all day.

TreeHouser Sponsor

I think Madsen in the PNW is worth checking for prices on reels of Stihl chain. Bailey's is now selling some Stihl chain too - and by the loop.