MS 200t problems

Nutball

TreeHouser
A guy I work for wants me to fix his 200t, it's doing something two of his other saws occasionally do, and what two Husqvarna weedeaters my dad owns did 2 weeks after coming out of the shop from having the same problem. It only runs between half and full choke. What are the usual causes of such an issue? The air filter looks pretty dirty, so tuning it shouldn't be the right option since the dirty filter should already help richen it.

Possible solutions I can think of:

New gas filter
New spark plug
New diaphragm kit if carb cleaner and cleaning dust out of the vents doesn't help

What other simple maintenance should I do on this saw? Keep in mind we're trying to save some money or it would go to the dealer.

If I get it running well, are there any easy worth while modifications? I have not ever owned one before, but the exhaust area looks kind of weird, is the muffler on the side or bottom? If it is on the side, then it is missing half of the muffler.

Im no expert by any means but I don't see fuel lines on your list,which if theres any kind of flaw in,can cause some finicky results....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought about fuel lines in terms of clogging, but not in terms of air leaks, great idea, that would make it lean.

They are notorious for pinhole leaks. Ethanol could eat at em also if they are the original lines. I think they changed material to be able to withstand the alcohol.

Your problems will vanish once new fuel lines n carb rebuild are completed, and you take a solemn vow to never again let ethanol contaminated fuel fug up your expensive saws.

I use 100+ octane racing fuel at 9 bucks a gallon, in all my saws.

Ethanol fugs up chainsaws, it's that simple IME.

Be kind to your tools.

Jomo

I've gone to 100% 93, I doubt the guy who owns the saw does, who knows, he might not even use 93. I'll ask. I'd buy him some 100% 93.

You can always get the premixed canned stuff from your saw shop mate,

Simply being 93 octane's no guarantee there's no ethanol in the premium pump.

It's everywhere, and fuggin up lotsa chainsaws n other two stroke engines.

Jomo

With the proper fuel line/material and some good stabilizer/mix ethanol isn't so bad. Somthing like this
7b976819965019f9a989bdf3383da5c8.png

I got a new carb in my 201 and a lil porting,I must say im using ethanol free in 95 rating @ $7.60 a gallon 😖

Where you get yours Jomo?

I had similar issues with a old 200t, two different mechanics "fixed" it. Ended up spending half of the price of a new saw on it. New crank seals, refurbished carb iirc.

There was talk of carb boot leaks on similar threads on AT, which I think is what Sgriff was referring to.

Dont throw too much money at it is my advice.

The 020 and 200T use a 7 roller roller bearing on the crank bearings which uses an internal thrust plate .Over time this plate wears allowing slop in the crankshaft which will cause the seals to leak .Seals and bearings are around 60 dollars .However a quick fix but not permanent would be just seals which are easy to change on this saw .Usually the leak will be on the clutch side.
Looking back over time problems with the 200T were blamed on the Zama CIQ carbs which in most cases were in fact the seals .More times than not it was not the carb but a ton of money has been spent replacing same .

I got a new carb in my 201 and a lil porting,I must say im using ethanol free in 95 rating @ $7.60 a gallon ��

Where you get yours Jomo?

Interstate 8 at Mollison Sam.

I mix it with the Stihl silver bottle synthetic stuff.

Jomo

The 020 and 200T use a 7 roller roller bearing on the crank bearings which uses an internal thrust plate .Over time this plate wears allowing slop in the crankshaft which will cause the seals to leak .Seals and bearings are around 60 dollars .However a quick fix but not permanent would be just seals which are easy to change on this saw .Usually the leak will be on the clutch side.
Looking back over time problems with the 200T were blamed on the Zama CIQ carbs which in most cases were in fact the seals .More times than not it was not the carb but a ton of money has been spent replacing same .

"internal thrust plate"

I have rebuilt many 020T and 200T and have heard mention if this thrust plate.
However, I have never saw one or seen mention of one in service manual.
Can you give a little more info?

The premixed canned stuff is way too expensive for me. I know I use 93 with 10% ethanol, but recently switched to 100% 93 from a Pure Gas station. The owner of the saw just told me he uses 87 with ethanol. I know he uses the cheap oil too, so did I and it works well, but when I went to 100% gas I searched for Klotz oil that would be best to use since I hate the smell of the cheap stuff and klotz smells good. I went with the super techniplate also, but it smells nowhere near as good as pure benol out of a nitro engine, benol smells good enough to drink. I'll still use super techniplate as good as it is.

Where's the spark arrestor?

Attachments

• DSC01276 (640x485).jpg
    DSC01276 (640x485).jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 26
A word to the wise about spark arrestors.

Remove them and gut them of their screens n restriction plates, then put the shell back into the muffler.

That way any fed or state inspector's will have to do some wrenching to bust n fine yu for noncompliance.

Jomo

"internal thrust plate"

I have rebuilt many 020T and 200T and have heard mention if this thrust plate.
However, I have never saw one or seen mention of one in service manual.
Can you give a little more info?
Perhaps wrong term .It's internal to the bearing .It's a fiber washer type affair .Once it wears enough it allows the crankshaft to move parallel to the bearing .The clutch side of the crankshaft will get a build up of sawdust and oil about like hard carbon after enough run time which will heat up and chew up the seal .
Stihl being Stihl never once mentioned this fact nor for that matter did they ever mention problems with the Zama carbs .Myself and Adam Clark discovered leakage around the welch plugs internal to the carb in the fuel chamber .Easy fix using red loctite .Stihl obviously preferred to sell new carbs at 90 bucks a pop at the time .
If I get some time I have a picture of the bearing and if I can find it I'll post it .

Back