Grapple for mini

Page

TreeHouser
I am once again looking into Getting a mini. Ive been renting it for a week at a time several times already this year so I might as well buy the thing. Definitely want the articulating grapple for it. What do you guys think of the one that tree stuff sells? Any recommendations?

As Willie says call Dave Norgard and get a BMG. Its the original and best grapple and backed by an honest tree guy.

EDIT just looked at TS site and yes it is a BMG on their site but please call Dave direct and get a better deal instead of giving money to Sherrill

Top notch equipment. Dave is the inventor of the bmg. Super nice , fair, honest guy to deal with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does it come with it's own controls that clamp to the mini or work with existing aux controls? The one pic I saw my looked like there was a porty welded to the thing

There is a porty incorporated, it comes in handy. The grapple runs off of the auxiliary circuit. Open and close is it's only function. You don't need a power rotator on a mini. Atleast I didn't. Capacity is more important.

Isn't that the point of this style grapple, to rotate? Maybe I'm missing something. How come your not working squish? Rainy out your way too?

Long weekend here.

The small bmg grapple just dangles and you bump it, catch a tong on the ground slightly, brush, whatever to turn it to the position you want. Others will chime in soon too I'm sure. It becomes very intuitive, easy.

Generally seems a power rotator doesn't come into play effectively until you get into the articulated sit down machines, or a full size skid steer. For a mini-skid, there just isn't the capacity to make it worthwhile. It adds to much weight to the grapple.

How come your not working squish? Rainy out your way too?

Not to derail, but most know, you may have missed it. I sold my tree business a couple of years ago now. I only do plowing and chimney sweepin so I work very little this time of year. All part of the plan of enjoying life a little before I grow up and die.

Interesting.id love to see a video of it in action if anyone has one.

Dave used to have some vids on his website, don't know if it's been all changed up now or what though.

You had some surgery didn't you for your wrists?

Yah, it was one of the factors that played into my decision. But not the only one. Pain and distrust of your grip can really take some of the fun out of this type of work. It's been a good change for me.

How are your hands now?

They aren't great,but I feel confident I'm not abusing them at nearly the same rate of speed as before. Arthritis, tendons, whatever. I'm sure they're all speaking to me a bit. The carpal tunnel surgery I had on my right hand and the site and surrounding area of the surgery can still be sensitive at times. For example I knocked a panel on my dryer I was repairing the other day with my palm to get it into position. The hand lit up pretty good. I can still feel scar tissue there and that hand now gets quite sore from overuse. But it rarely has any numbing sensations. Yah, I guess? My left hand will numb out into a useless club when being used very aggressively for long. Besides some of those 'features', I'm sure I have arthritis in both hands. I imagine one day it'll get bad enough to see a doc about, but I suspect meds or some hocus pocus therapy will be the prescription.

I don't have much faith in doctors. Sure if I have an emergency I'll be rushing to see one. But in the meantime I don't think they have the easy answer for aches and pains like my hands have.

They're definetly better now then trying to run a saw daily. The discomfort is manageable now, I don't pop endless advils.

If I could go back, I would never have that surgery again.

I'm telling yah. You go to a doc with an 'problem' and they'll have some sort of answer,likely a go to surgery like carpal tunnel.

I imagine it's like any profession. Take tree guys for example. I have a problem with a tree say, nine out of the tree guys are going to want to cut on it. That's always the answer right. Unfortunately I probably needed that tenth doctor, but I don't know where to find him?

I regret entrusting my body and well being to others. I'm pretty sure I was pushed through the cookie cutter carpal tunnel surgery mill. Oh your hands hurt? Take this test? Ok, surgery. Wham bam, another payment on the Beemer, thank you very much.

I really like my BMG. Like others have said, it's pretty easy to turn by bumping it. The power rotate could be nice but I think the weight difference would frustrate me to much.

You know the grapple thing intrigued me.

As some may know I'm getting a new loader and asked about a bmg. They couldn't supply one so I just went for the silage grab.

I look at the vids and cannot see how it would be advantageous to have one, if I was feeding a massive chipper yes.

You're losing height for loading onto a truck for one thing.

I may well get one later, but ATM I reckon a grab is more useful.

Willing to be converted though.

Thanks for the perspective on your hands, Squish

Back