Get me up to speed on the best saws of today

Nutball

TreeHouser
What are the best saws of today, preferably ones that are still made. Which ones have the manufacturers worked the kinks out of, have the best bang for your buck, and just run amazing while having great durability? A friend of mine has a bunch of wore out saws I'm starting to fix up for him, but he's got to get something new and good as the go to saw for everything when the other 10 saws are having issues. Also I just want to learn what's best so I know.

My experience and what I like: I prefer the Husqvarna 3xx saws, I like their choke and off switch setup and how they run. I've used my dad's 359 which was a great one, I wish they still made it, but I prefer rim sprockets with the rim on the outside. The 372 and a Chinese 365 were ones I used and like. I like my Jonsered 2188 for the most part, I got it for the outer rim sprocket and similar setup to a 390 while being less expensive. I also have an echo 271t which has great power, starts well, is super light, but can about blow itself to pieces if the chain jumps off causing $100+ in parts damage and weeks of backordering parts. Echo has one bigger top handle saw that I think is just a terrible design, and their other is too heavy. I've found my two saws, 2188 and 271t, to be a great pair, and all I need, although a light weight & powerful midsize would be nice.

I'm not against Stihl saws, but I prefer Husqvarna. I think I like the 660 and 250 well enough, the 250 is a great in between size saw with 3/8 chain and good power, I've heard the price isn't too bad on it too. The ms390 is comparable to a 372. Stihls are just too expensive in general in my opinion. Another friend of mine got a new 661 and often has problems with it. I know the 290 is a pain to take apart. I also don't like the Husqvarna rancher saws as much, but at least huskys are easy to work on.

So, what's you experience, your favorite in tree saw, mid size saw, and big saw? Which should I definitely stay away from?

NnoGhN1.gif

Really, most of the pro grade stuff is pretty good right now.

I'd shy away from a new MS661, just because I've heard they're cooking themselves, but that might be internet bullshit too. . .

I've had good luck with:

T540XP
576XP
390XP (any 3 series husky prior to strato engines)

MS201TC
MS441
MS461
MS880 (whatever, don't buy one of these, just don't.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I knew those poulan jokes were coming, but I thought you guys would know better. I figured there could be some resistance to the question, though I'm not sure why, I just had a feeling.

Anyway, I think it's a good valid question with new models coming out, and new models that have been around for a few years. Sometimes they have some bad production runs of them. All of the good brand name products should be good, but I'm looking for what stands out as being good or bad. Sometimes I think they have too many sizes to choose from which is why some people might favor a good model that runs reliably, is easy to service, and is a good balance between power and weight. I mentioned I liked the 372, but it is actually too heavy and weak for me to call outstanding. Maybe if it came stock with a big bore 76cc, and a faster flow oiler. The 359 had good power for the weight. A few tweaks to it's design and I'd call it outstanding.

I liked Grendel's response. I'm sure the 880 is good, but I wouldn't buy one anyway, unnecessary price and weight...guess I don't need that power too. And what are the strato engines? x torque? autotune? I thought I read a while ago how people really like the 562, but I saw a lot of 2012-2015 (the only reviews I read) on Husqvarna's website that they had tuning issues and cylinder scoring problems.

Sorry to be so predictable mate.
It really comes down to intended application, sometimes you want a shitty saw for a shitty job, or a saw that is lightweight thats gonna be picked up to make a couple cuts and then put down again repeatedly throughout the day.
I generally allocate a budget, check power to weight ratio and make sure its a Stihl :P

Haha, I love saw vamping. Always up for it.

Strato engines are the new thing where they wash the cylinder with a little fresh air to reduce emissions or save fuel, or whatever. What they call X Torque, same thing. I'm always inclined to think stories of burned up saws are related to light mixes. I'm sure it happens anyways once in awhile, even at 32:1 or whatever, but I've never seen it. . . It's hard to imagine the new chip carbs, which don't really let you run the saw rich on a lighter mix, wouldn't result in some saws burning up as well.

I want a 661, just not pulling the trigger yet. 390 fills that void nicely for now.

II thought I read a while ago how people really like the 562, but I saw a lot of 2012-2015 (the only reviews I read) on Husqvarna's website that they had tuning issues and cylinder scoring problems.
I've run one for a couple of years and it's been trouble free so far.

The best saw is the saw that does the job you need it to do.
Yesterday my best saw was the 150t...nothing else got a look in, 200t too heavy, 260 too big...but tomorrow, might need the 461.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Poulan was my first too, I put a lot of use on it until I borrowed my dad's 359. That thing was like going from a clunker to a Rolls Royce, it was smooth like a knife through butter, the first time I experienced anti vibe.

I'll make my question more specific by stating that I've already mentioned all that's needed to make my original question as specific as it needs to be, although I'm not always good at getting my thought across. Just tell me which saws you would choose based on experience and/or what you've heard about quality and performance and all that if you could only choose one small in tree (or on ground too) saw, one mid size, and one large, what would they be. Keep it on the newer side, very recently phased out models ok.

Not a bad answer Bermy, I know my little Echo 271t is my all time favorite for branch work. I think that's why I like my two saws so much, I have one of the lightest, and one of the strongest which helps me to do pretty much any kind of cutting I need to quickly and easily. I just don't have a rescue saw in case the big one gets stuck in big wood and I forget taking it off the bar and putting another bar on is an option.

Still in. haha

Small: T540XP (Own a 201, like it very much, but if "there can be only one", the ergonomics fit me better on the 540, and its a nice, powerful, responsive climbing saw)

Medium: MS461 (This would be a tough call between the buttery smooth, perfectly tuned 576XP, but I'd have to give the edge, again, to handling. 461 is balanced beautifully with a 28" lightweight)

Large: 390XP (Again, I don't really have the appropriate frame of reference to comment on this class. I've never held a running 660/661. The 390 is a smooth, strong, dangerous machine, and pulls on a 32" bar wonderfully, even nose deep in hardwood. I couldn't really ask for anything more)

I think with those three saws in your quiver you'd be hard pressed to find a situation you couldn't work your way out of.

Cheers

I can get 90% of my work around here done with a simple lineup:

Tophandle - now it's a T540 with 12" bar (only because my MS200T blew up, I miss my old 200)
Brush saw - 346XP / 550XP with 15" bar
2 Medium saws, 1 with 20" bar, 1 with 28" bar: either 575XP or 562XP

We have a modded 395XP with up to a 36" bar for the big stuff.

That's pretty much all I need around here. I'm not much of a gear nut, I just want the minimum effective dose of saws to get my stuff done.

Ms200's or 201's

46,460, or 461

66,660, or 661

And a 880. Just because.

Modded beats the hell out of stock in any size IMO. The only saws I ran stock were climbers. Otherwise a woods mod, or worksaw mod or whatever the builders lingo is for opening it up but keeping it reliable.

But as others have alluded to. The best saw is the one sized right for the job, runs well, and is sharp!

I'll take slower cutting speed for less weight in a top-handle, unless its a speed-related cut (dropping larger limbs). My wrists and elbows feel a lot better, 1-handing.

A sharp 193t with metal dogs goes a long way. I don't work in much hard hardwoods. I didn't get out my 200t for a madrona, our hardest wood.

I like my 192 as well, 3 years on it's running strong. Some metal dogs sound nice. Although, we just bought a husky battery saw that's pretty nice. I think I'll take the extra weight in trade for no pull starting, no exhaust and less noise.

I'm looking at that, too. Which did you get? I'd like a battery saw for my backyard, or help a friend on a Sunday, and general work.

The dogs are cheap. Money well spent, especially when one-handing.

I'm not sure of the model number, it's the newest top handle husky as far as I know. We also got a blower and hedge trimmer that run off the same batteries.

Kinda thing where you want to go for several appliances for the same power supply. How does the blower work?

Back