Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Teach me to cut fast

I guess that's about the only other way to do it. That's what I'll do.

Setting after performance is the key. If the saw perform at its best and correct, what more can you want?

Its hard to hear difference in them when limiter hit and when it four strokes, but its a different tone in them when limiter hits.
    You don't need that rpm anyway as its set to perform its best in lower rpms.
    Max power output is often 15-20% lower rpm. Thats were you want to set it. If not it consumes more fuel and do less, even when set lean it consumes more, oddly enough..

My dad told me he heard filing to 0 degrees, or close to it, cuts faster than 30 degrees. Which is best? I assume 30 since most chains come filed to 25-30.

TreeHouser Sponsor woodworkingboy's Avatar

Your dad is talking about ripping chains (cutting with the grain), or he should be.
    Bright days and dark days are both expressions of the great mystery. ~ Oglala Sioux

Agreed.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

I file ripping chain here and 0 degrees to some that want it.
    Found around 5-10 to be most efficient in most wood.

When I fell and cut Elm I usually file with 6mm file and 20 degrees. Cuts about 15% better and last twice the time.
    Hard wood with fibers left to right more than up and down could be the reason this work better.

I try all ideas, not many improve cutting, but when they do I try to stick with them. Filing vertical, adapt filing to work and wood, keep file clean and make sure it cuts, not grind is the top stuff on the list.
    And yes, there is a list.
    I call it next level filing class. Its for those that is not content when it cuts well.