Stihl 261 muffler interchange

G-Woody

Treehouser
I need a Muffler for a MS261 and they are pretty expensive. Cheapest I found was $50 used and no new aftermarket mufflers available.

I figure something else would fit will slight modifications. Does anyone have a good guess what will fit besides 261/241 mufflers?

Thanks -----G-Woody

I don't know much about mufflers but luckily there are are members here who do.

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Woody! :beer:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the welcome. I figure someone might have a good idea and a couple loose mufflers they could try.

Silly things about self destruct and break off at the ears. Check Ebay. I think I even got a cheaper one from my dealer than 50.00.
I think Forrester has them as well. Aftermarket.
I gut ty he little things and open them up.

I started to fix up Stihl saws after I retired. I soon found out that it's not fast easy profit. Most non-running saws have a few reasons why they no longer function. It seems most people nurse them along with issues until they no longer run. Then rob a couple parts from them and shove them under the bench for a few years. By the time they get repaired the hoses are dried out and another part or two is missing. For me it's a fun puzzle to piece them back to life but can cost more than they are worth if I don't become resourceful. As a old hot-rodder I'm used to swapping parts into a car that will work better or cheaper. I'm hoping to find a alterative option for the 261 muffler. I have a dozen different stihls that I figure I could take off mufflers and try them. Better yet if someone had some apart to check.
Thanks again G-Woody

Ebay has one $38 plus shipping, about $50. I haven't checked the Stihl dealer but sometimes they are cheaper than ebay parts. I've had parts on order for months at a couple dealers up here and I get I'm sorry I dropped the ball ordering but parts still don't show up.
I checked Hutzl and no 261 mufflers.
I think being the 261 has a stainless muffler they don't go bad very often. So there is not a big demand for them so the aftermarket hasn't started up for them yet but don't know. In my case I didn't get a muffler with the saw.
My have to resort to doing a McGiver job on a electrical outlet box. G-Woody

I think I'll set that saw aside for a while and keep my eyes open for a reasonable cost used muffler. If none come up I'll spring for shinny new OEM part, it's a nice looking saw and deserves a nice muffler. I have all the parts I need to put it together other than muffler so I won't parts it out.

I was joking about the electrical box mod that would look a little to redneck to sell very well. Thanks

Back