Dump Trailer???

Buddy

Treehouser
I am thinking that the next tool I need to add is a dump trailer. The most time consuming part of the work I have been doing so far is cleanup and if I could just dump the mess instead of hand throwing it all over again, that would be awesome. Do you guys have any recommendations for size or is there anything to avoid?

In the meantime you can get pretty good at rigging and pulling the whole mess out at once. Been discussed here before. I had a dump truck for awhile , use my non dump trailer a bit. Some old rope and convenient anchor are all you need ( plus "D" on the Trk )

I worked for a company for a while that used dump trailers instead of chippers, and it worked great. You never had to worry about gravel or dirt, and 3 or more people can load a trailer a lot faster than they can feed a chipper. I learned that you don't have to use rigging to get everything out if you just lay the first few branches in lengthwise and curl up. And obviously, get the largest possible dump trailer your truck can tow!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
When I have help we will run 2 pickups and trailers. We just make sure to have a couple key pieces on the bottom and we can pull it all out at once. I thought about rigging something up so I could do the same with one pickup and trailer but I haven't yet and I don't have a solid anchor where I dump.

Bounce- I was eye balling the 14' trailers. That's what I have now and it seems like a good size. I can still haul 16'6" logs in it too.

I built my dump trailer. I took a rice 20ft 10000lb trailer and converted it to a dump. I wanted a 14' dump with 5' none dumping in the front to haul gear on. Everyone I tried to get one from was going to have to custom build it. Cheapest quote I got was 12K, and at least a 3 month wait. So I decided to build one myself. I have just over 5K in mine. I'm just running wood sides right now but looking to make a tall steel headache rack and metal sides. I'd like to be able to speed line right in to the trailer and use it to rig off of when in can be put in the rite position.
It's heavy as hell. Probably 5000lbs. My tundra knows it's back there.
I researched for nearly a year on the dump trailers. They are all about the same. Big Tex, load trail, and PJ are the 3 that stood out to me the most.

Here's my contraption.
9777e071ebd5680bbfaa2e04a9584d2a.jpg

e71779ae6a1d8714db927de40c93c7cf.jpg

7610e18b6e1cb134332bb3b4842c5214.jpg

0cd596fbb7e49ca044a7505b3e1d7232.jpg

a66bdaeaa8da8a951c12b04e0b2018bc.jpg

04351f487ccb995f53a4d8228055bf25.jpg

8680236a3051375df1a8fc2885776c80.jpg
430d0e063dfaf5c8f4600cb3cff949ac.jpg

5e07f6513b2d27fa0852243ccb7300c9.jpg

The only trouble I've had is you've really got to break everything down small so you can pack it in tight. Brush fills it up fast. I've Thought of using a small dr chipper 4-6" mounted on the front to chip up the small brush so I can get more on the trailer and save on trips. But for the most part it gets the job done.

One of the small guys in town has piled in trailers for years. He just built a winch system to pull the whole mess out. Totally self contained, pretty clever

Nice trailer:thumbup:

The trailers I have seen so far have short sides. I will definitely have to extend them a little.

Always thought Willards set up was ingenious. Grinder/chipper/tipping chip box and a little muck truck.

Attachments

• IMG_1511.JPG
    IMG_1511.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 65
I have a 10' and a 12'
The 10' has 2' sides with pockets, so we made 2' sides for it.
The 12 has 4' sides. All steel. The weight difference is pretty significant between the two trailers. Remember, you can only load what you can pull and more importantly, stop.
Wood sides help keep some of the weight down on the trailer. I use them for chip boxes as well. And Dingo transport.........

Always thought Willards set up was ingenious. Grinder/chipper/tipping chip box and a little muck truck.

Ingenious , but you have to know your market too. Here that trailer would be the worst of all worlds. Small chipper, small capacity, small material moving machine.

Here the large turning radius would be hell in older streets in cities.

I wanted to mention that too Denver. Sweet looking trailer you crafted.

I used a dump trailer for large wood myself, and a chipper for all brush. So I never wanted tall sides so that my mini skid could load over the side as well as from the rear.

Dump trailers come in real handy. I have a load trail with the side extensions. I need to figure out how I can make them either easily removable or fold down. Looking like a winter project.

I am a dealer for Load Trail, but shipping from Texas to Idaho would be tough economically on a single trailer.

Back