SRT & Cranes

TreeRhino

TreeHouser
When I'm setting chokers off the line/ball, I always use DdRT so i can descend and remove my line before the cut is made. Lately, I've heard of people using SRT in this situation and I'm curious how you would remove your line before the cut? I suppose you could choke your line off and use the tail to remove it but that seems like a pain.

Am i missing something?

Thanks, guys!

Why ef with somethin tried n true?

Somethin your life depends on?

Allotta climbers gettin hurt usin gizmos of late.

Bein cool's one thing, bein buried's another......

Jomo

Set of rings with a stopper knot mid line. But what's the problem with DdRT ? Guess you just detach from a short rope and leave it on the crane

Hmmm, I use SRT on virtually everything but crane work. I'll be interested in how a climber could possibly be more efficient using SRT in that situation.

Not sure about that. IMO whenever you move under your own power on a crane job it is down . Crane picks you up so where is the advantage of srt?

Hard for me to put in words. But there are times I move around in canopy to the next pick. Seems to work faster placing me ready while the ground removes the pick. Sometimes I even take and extra sling with me to set up the next pick. Bee bop a door whop...
Maybe the less friction. Maybe just the cinched tie off ... just seems quick.

Yeah, I just dont see SRT on the ball being advantageous unless you need to work off the ball and setting chokers in places that friction would be an issue Ddrt.

I wouldn't say advantageous by any means but last crane job i did use srt to tie into ball, I just choked it straight onto the hook,An unacceptable practice for the traditional method,simply retrieved with the tail end.
I just didn't feel like securing my R&R to do the acceptable double rope method. I must admit i was a little nervous of the choke popping off the hook!

You could use trt but I don't see how it could be any faster than ddrt with a multiscender.
I usually just tie back into the ball on a spar to limit the chance of the rope getting stuck.
Sometimes you can set a srt point at your next sling point and run back up there while thw crane/ground deals with the last pick.

We don't have balls on our cranes here, collars instead where the cable is socketed inside to the upper part of the hook affair and held for the most part by a self tightening wedge. I suggested to a crane op that does a lot of tree work that he have a steel ring welded on the side of the collar that you could put your rope through. It would eliminate the uncomfortable feeling when limbs are pushing through the hook where the rope is. He seemed to think that it was a very dumb idea, I guess in part because you can't modify a collar and pass inspection. I dropped the subject when he almost became hostile. I still think it's not a bad idea if certification or some other means of acceptance could be implemented and safety guaranteed. The collar does bang around on wood sometimes, maybe something attached on the side or wherever is problematical.

Running the rope through a steel ring put through the hook and lightly laced to the neck for added security is how some guys like to roll, especially if wire rope choker is attached to the hook at the same time. No getting your rope buggered up with the choker when pulling the standing end through.

Back