But I'm not dead yet ... Age and climbing

I am heading to the ice floe when I start shitting my pants.

Ha! Good Eskimo solution. But what if you can't get to the ice floe? What if I can't get on my paddle board and get out far enough for exposure to take over?

There will be no ice floe for Jim. Global warming from industrialized farming will have melted it all.

As for you, I think the ocean is ripe for dying if you just want to paddle into the sunset.

Cory, there's some places where you don't have to paddle very far out.

Attachments

• 9795ae2374658c0ff3fe962b6254f460 2.jpg
    9795ae2374658c0ff3fe962b6254f460 2.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 54
There will be no ice floe for Jim. Global warming from industrialized farming will have melted it all.

Ooo, you got him! :P

As for you, I think the ocean is ripe for dying if you just want to paddle into the sunset.

Good call. But you know, I'm surprised suicide or assisted suicide is not a bigger topic these days with the #s of old folks rapidly rising. I predict it will become a hot topic as more people live longer but many aren't living well due to physical or mental health issues.Of course many people of age are living remarkably well due to modern medicine and modern health awareness and healthy lifestyles but many aren't.

I dont consider a nursing home to be much of an option at all.

Its 5000 a month to "live" in our nursing home. Screw that, if I have any money left, and cant find an ice berg big enough to hold me, I am going to have an accident and let my kids have the money.

I have spent many, many years around nursing homes.....thats enough for me.

Not saying some people dont fit right in....its a good option for some people. Just strikes me as a goddamn expensive ware house for old people.

and cant find an ice berg big enough to hold me,

Dude you are funny as hell!

Having an "accident"- that way your kids could still get your life insurance because an accident isn't suicide, right?

I think most life insurance policies will pay up if the suicide is after a certain time from when the policy was taken out.

Here where suicide is not uncommon, you can find people saying what a good family man a person was because after their business went bust, they chose to let their policy keep their family from destitution. If you owe the Yakuza money though, they likely will still go after the policy claimants after the funeral is over. Sympathy not being one of their better assets.

This is a tough subject. Having financial resources is key to making it not suck, imo...though attitude is nearly, maybe even equally, as important.

I saw my wife's parents move from their home of more than 50 years into a much above average independent living/assisted living/dementia care/full on nursing care facility (residents could move through all of the available options as their needs changed) and for them it was wonderful. They went from stressing about house maintenance they could no longer keep up with to zero concerns on that front, moved to medical care right at hand if an emergency occurred rather than the unknown if something overcame either one of them, and to having a huge increase in social events and engagements beyond their limited options in their own home, which they both took total advantage of. It was a complete win for them, added more than a decade and a half to their "good life", imo.

I also managed my mother's move into an about average assisted care facility after my father died, watched her take no advantage of the opportunities for social life no matter how much her family and the staff tried to help her, and hate everything about her life from then until her death.

It can go either way, and how we approach life changes is what makes or breaks it.

That said, I'd hate to be in a "facility" too, at least from my present position...that is subject to change, I reckon :D.

If we ignore it, or say "I'll put a barrel in my mouth", or think we can just work until we die, no problem...that is not reality.

By the time most of us are not able to take care of ourselves, we may well not be able to "do the deed"...not for lack of will, but for lack of ability. Mental, physical, hardware.

Sux, but that's what I have seen, from up close.

The thing to do is to prepare yourself for it, mentally.
To most people, suicide is not an option, simply because the idea of doing it has never ebntered their mind.
For those of us who are real believers in the " ice floe" solution, it is something that has been thought through often, the hardware is in place and the mental preparation done.
Of course we can get in a paralyzing accident or have a blod clot in the brain eff us up, making us unable to use said hardware, but baring that, the ice floe awaits.

As for Fionas comment of most people not keeping in shape, I notice that every 2 months when I go to the hospital, to have a check up and see what horrors the leukemia has done to my body.
Most of the guys my age who suffer from the same disease are smoking cigarettes or so overweight, they can't walk normally.
No wonder the leukemia gets the better of them, they sure do their best to help it along.

Last check up the doctor asked how work was going.
I had just topped a 40 meter larch the day before in such high winds, that we couldn't set a line, so I went up old school, spurs and flipline.
I told him that, and he sat a little, thinking, then said: " We sure don't get many of your kind, here":lol:

The doctors don't get many of your kind here either, my old friend. Nor my kind, come to think on it :).

Accolades to you, from another "experienced" fellow, with a somewhat damaged body still making my way through as best I can.

Reactions: Jed
If nothing else, it will make for a catchy title when I write my autobiography.

" Logging with leukemia":lol:

I guess the stupid forum software deleted your account due to inactivity. I think I've stopped that since then...

So, what are you up to nowadays?

Stig, also not a bad idea to have a mutual agreement with some close to you, who loves you enough to put a pillow over your face, if need be.:D

I guess the stupid forum software deleted your account due to inactivity. I think I've stopped that since then...

So, what are you up to nowadays?

Hiya Butch! I am still slinging a saw and climbing trees. I have my own business now, and am not with Wesspur anymore. Office life just wasn't for me.

Back