But I'm not dead yet ... Age and climbing

56 and pretty much shit hurts from all the things I've ever done in my life. Still Killin it so long as I can climb. Just scale back as I age. Work smarter, not harder. SRT, WRAPTOR, and hydraulics. Stripped out on zip line, a 100 or so and a 150 foot tree today in 5 hours. I'll take it.

56 and pretty much shit hurts from all the things I've ever done in my life. Still Killin it so long as I can climb. Just scale back as I age. Work smarter, not harder. SRT, WRAPTOR, and hydraulics. Stripped out on zip line, a 100 or so and a 150 foot tree today in 5 hours. I'll take it.
If that's scaling back, you were a beast in your prime Stephen!

I think it's hard for a young guy to realize the importance of that. For me it was like a competition, always trying to push myself harder to see how much I could get done. No pain no gain! But I see it now as I am getting older, not old yet though.

I wonder what it would be like for you guys if some of you would have adopted the work smarter, not harder idea when you first started.

Ive been into that since day one and I'm still more or less wrecked. :drink:

I am a youngster at 48 but I am so glad I gave up climbing and got in the crane. I get to ride my MTB any evening it is dry out and don't dread huge removals anymore! For me climbing had lost its fun so was just a job. I really enjoy running the crane now. I think if you keep climbing too long you will really tear up your body.

I get where you're coming from Paul but I really enjoy the climbing, always have. Thankfully this body has held up pretty well. When I have to hang up the hooks I'll be done.

As has been said before Jim, wouldn't have made any difference.

It's not as if a sedentary worker is lithe and full of beans at our age anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I get where you're coming from Paul but I really enjoy the climbing, always have. Thankfully this body has held up pretty well. When I have to hang up the hooks I'll be done.

... It will be a sad day for me , hang'em up on a wall.

Just found this thread this AM and don't have time to read it all now - or respond properly.

But , much of the worlds people will work hard and do fine right up close to the day of their death.

Anyone who wants to and catches their pains and aches a little on the early side can do some simple things and become functional and pain free again.

Other side of the coin is I know a guy who is in his 40s works as a waiter and has had 5 or 6 hip replacments. Those are supposed to last 15 years according to the info. What explains his getting only a few years out of some of them????????

Anyone who wants to and catches their pains and aches a little on the early side can do some simple things and become functional and pain free again.

To a large degree I think that is true. It's too easy to "let stuff go" and you pay for it later.

This morning I was pretty stiff and achy when I woke up...I did a good workout at the gym yesterday and some movement training exercises too..so a busy-body day. I felt some aching when I rolled out of bed this AM. Hot shower, checked emails and got ready to start b'fast.

Instead I took 5 minutes to do some rope stretching, something I do almost every morning. After that 5-6 minutes I moved a LOT better and still feel pretty functional...2 hours later.

My first inclination was to just make b'fast and get started working...almost felt too stiff to stretch. The body needs the constant attention if you want to use it efficiently. Proper stretching, strengthening, nutrition and rest is an investment in yourself. You can't put everything in equipment and the next bright shiny gadget...keep the body tuned up.

My 2 cents....

And, Merle,...I'm liking the pandiculation you discussed...makes a lot of sense.

I wonder what it would be like for you guys if some of you would have adopted the work smarter, not harder idea when you first started.

When I started working in the woods, I was cutting pulp.
Mechanical harvesters weren't invented yet, so there was no " Work smarter" method.

Truth be told, when I see those fat kids who run the harvesters today, I'll rather be a worn out old logger .

I'm still feeling stiff after chasing the dog across the countryside for miles on Saturday.
Tuesday morning I opened the van door and off he goes again, out the clients garden and down the road. So I leg it after him again in big boots and chainsaw trousers, luckily the lads were able to help catch him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just turned 61. Except for a bad heart valve, high blood pressure and every bone in my body feeling like I've been in a train wreck I'm still a cherry. I feel my worse when I stop moving so I just keep working. I'd rather go down with both wings shot off and tail section on fire anyway. :/

... Prob my favorite TH post in a long time

Reactions: Jed
Just turned 61. Except for a bad heart valve, high blood pressure and every bone in my body feeling like I've been in a train wreck I'm still a cherry. I feel my worse when I stop moving so I just keep working. I'd rather go down with both wings shot off and tail section on fire anyway. :/
My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!:dude:

Eating well, and staying active is important. I think perhaps the dumbest culture that I was introduced to from the start was picking up huge awkward logs, instead of cutting them smaller. It was never to save time, rather, just a stupid pissing contest. Nothing but back and neck injuries ever came from it. And, you couldn't just carry the rounds, no, they had to go,right up on your shoulder. Otherwise, there was something wrong with you.

Back