But I'm not dead yet ... Age and climbing

The body needs the constant attention if you want to use it efficiently. Proper stretching, strengthening, nutrition and rest is an investment in yourself. ..keep the body tuned up.

100%

Just found this thread this AM and don't have time to read it all now - or respond properly.

But , much of the worlds people will work hard and do fine right up close to the day of their death.Anyone who wants to and catches their pains and aches a little on the early side can do some simple things and become functional and pain free again.

Other side of the coin is I know a guy who is in his 40s works as a waiter and has had 5 or 6 hip replacments. Those are supposed to last 15 years according to the info. What explains his getting only a few years out of some of them????????

Do fine? Meh...maybe not so fine, but no choice in the matter.

I was out of working for about two months all in all after getting eye surgery, including three weeks in the hospital. I wasn't just laying in bed like some people have to do, but though I was concerned that coming back to strength and stamina could be a problem, it doesn't appear to have been. My first tree job after didn't seem much different. One thing I noticed though, was that my earlier points of physical comfort, like shoulder and elbow, seem ok now. Maybe they will come back with more consistent aggressive work, but perhaps taking a long break periodically, like once every thirty years if at all possible :lol:, is something to be done to help ensure longevity if wanting to keep up demanding physical labor.

Me too.

My Dad spent the last 5 years of his life in his sheltered accommodation, warm, secure, well fed and cared for.

If that happens to me, I'd be happy enough.

You can keep all the bravado stuff.

. One thing I noticed though, was that my earlier points of physical comfort, like shoulder and elbow, seem ok now. Maybe they will come back with more consistent aggressive work, but perhaps taking a long break periodically, like once every thirty years if at all possible :lol:, is something to be done to help ensure longevity if wanting to keep up demanding physical labor.

I can agree with this Jay! I am slowly getting back into work now after 4 months off. Before my 'break' my hands were really sore, fingers and wrists. All that is gone now.
I changed up my diet a bit too, trying to reduce acid producing foods, to reduce inflammation, taking turmeric tablets...it seems to be helping.

Being generally active all your life really helps when you have to take time off for aches and pains or surgery, seems that when getting back to work, yes those muscles that have been idle for a while creak and complain, but I am finding that the recovery cycle is getting shorter quickly.
Last week when I did a full on work climb and I was sore and tired after about three hrs, needed a bit of a massage and some heat that evening, but next morning I felt pretty good. I was lifting rescue tools Monday and Tuesday for a training seminar and pulled up fine on Wednesday, no aches, so that stored 'muscle memory' seems to be kicking in.

I reckon as we get older, the emphasis on good diet and maintaining strength and flexibility, recovery cycles from overuse or injury (sleep, physio etc.) is very important to maintaining the ability to work productively well into our later years.
No longer the work all day, party hard (or play sports) late nights and bound up the next morning bright and early...that just doesn't work any more!

I just turned 40 on monday this week and am starting to feel it. In my life so far I've had 23 broken bones, 500-1000 stitches, and 5 surgeries. It's starting to add up and I can see the writing on the wall. I know I won't be able to do this job forever. But I love climbing and can't imagine doing anything else. I tried an office gig once and just couldn't hack it. I decided I would rather destroy my body and be happy than destroy my soul.

I just turned 40 on monday this week and am starting to feel it. In my life so far I've had 23 broken bones, 500-1000 stitches, and 5 surgeries. It's starting to add up and I can see the writing on the wall. I know I won't be able to do this job forever. But I love climbing and can't imagine doing anything else. I tried an office gig once and just couldn't hack it. I decided I would rather destroy my body and be happy than destroy my soul.
Doesn't sound like you bounce all that well:/:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bounce / Sean ... Formerly at Wesspur . Or could two people on the internet have the same unusual name. Suspicious Imogi

Fat kids driving harvesters eh? Thats hitting pretty close to home Stig.

Jimster, I don't think of you as being fat.
No more than I though of the Grizzly bear I met in Alaska, maybe a month before hibernation time, as being fat.

Those forwarder/harvester driving kids have no muscles whatsoever, except those needed to control a joystick.
Get in a fight with one, it would be easy just to rip one of their arms off and beat them to death with it.
Somehow I get the feeling, that might be a tad harder with you.

I will be 50 on Saturday....I climb most days....not sure when I will be done....I have only used spurs 5 times for the year for short periods on a pole....On big removals brush is gone without spurs and then in comes a knuckeboom for the wood....so spurs for that....but I sell pruning like a mofo....hey who knows when that time will be...I love climbing and use SRT all day long...with very little DdRT mosly small stuff....

Happy Birthday for Saturday Paul! Welcome to the club :)

When I look around and look at the general agility and fitness level of people my age, I'm often shocked. Overweight, out of breath, tending towards sedentary lifestyles...I firmly believe that how you start out is how you will trend as age progresses. They key is taking care of the body and to our detriment that is something we don't do well enough in our younger years because that's when we believe we are immortal! So yes, it comes back to bite later, but adding strength and flexibility exercises and eating well helps get us through it.

Back