But I'm not dead yet ... Age and climbing

The front cover shows a guy bending over a dead body. He had just been electrocuted.

A father and son were setting up a well drilling rig 8 inches from the 12,000 volt line! Five minutes later they were both dead.

Yeah, it is pretty interesting. Gene self-published the book back in 1986 at Arena Press in Point Arena California. The book is filled with wonderful stories of his daily life climbing trees for a living.

Had the chance 2 weeks ago to visit my son in Alexandria, MN. They just bought a house and my grand daughter had a climbing tree she was anxious to show me. I took my gear and got in a climb and minor prune for my 51st year, in my 70th year. Also got son, daughter-in-law and both girls(8 and 10) in the tree for a while. Think we have 3 generations of climbers in the family now, but not all as a profession, yet! Will keep at it as long as I can and it is fun.

Reactions: Jed
I am 40. Next month puts another notch in me. I have been wondering where the last climb was. There are so many awesome things now a days....I don't know where or when the last "time" will be. If the hardest "thing" is going there that is not an issue. Thanks for all the input tree people!

TOTALLY!!! :rockon:

I miss the good days, but I sure as hell don't miss the bad - and the bad days were coming around more and more often.

Just transition to an aerial lift. Hell, I could probably run a lift well into my 80's if I wanted to. At 57, I feel healthy and strong as I did in my 30's. I could do this chit forever... I love my job!

I thought the same until I was proved otherwise. Basically, the pistol grip was crippling my hands.

Perhaps I'd have lasted a few more years with lever controls.

Just transition to an aerial lift. Hell, I could probably run a lift well into my 80's if I wanted to. At 57, I feel healthy and strong as I did in my 30's. I could do this chit forever... I love my job!

You and me both, kid :D

I fully intend to stay at it as long as I can.
This time of not working has really shown me how fast my body deteriorates, when I'm out of the woods.
I'd have to spend 4 hours every day in a gym to keep in fighting trim, and I HATE gyms.

I'm 42, already with some rough joint issues after stepping in a gopher hole 15 years ago and tearing a ligament in my ankle. Also, my left elbow is pulp after repetitive stress injuries from computer work 10 years ago with a non-ergonomic set up. And rotator cuff sensitivity as a result... BUT I find ways to cope, doing daily Egoscue Pain Free exercises and other bodyweight exercises that enhance flexibility and joint strength. We're about to buy a bucket truck and mini skid steer (Vermeer or Ditch Witch), so I should find even more usefulness on the crew as an equipment operator on those new acquisitions. I don't plan on quitting any time soon or going to the office zone full time. I'd probably go stir crazy if I didn't have time out in the sunshine & great outdoors every day!

4 hours a day? Your metabolism must be slow as molasses.

Butch, my dear.

You think being in shape is about having big muscles.

If your cardiovascular system is out of shape, those won't do you much good in a fight, in fact they'll drain you of oxygen and make you give up faster than if you were a slim type.

Exactly as I figured - just fine.

Pistol grips will hurt you quicker than levers.

But it wasn't just the pistol grip - it was ALL the gripping involved with treework.

Lotta gripping fo sho.

Nice to hear they cleared up

Back