Petzl Pantin Failure

I have had the new ISC one for a couple of weeks now. Build quality looks good & it functions as it should. Says everything I think

Yessir.

The descender Petzl is so proud of, the Pirana...waaay too skinny imo. Just as another example.

Last edited:
I have a newer Pantin, less than 3 years old.

I stopped using it because the climbing line wouldn't stay in it.

Is there a trick to that?

Short steps, toe pointed down.

Can you drill a biner hole, like the older ones?

I like the aspect of being able to kick out when wanted, but it sucks when you don't want it.

The old green one rocks I use it under my spurs.

I bought a new pantin lefty.... it was super tiny and kid sized. So I gave it to my kid.

I got the locking one CT... I like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I never took the time to learn it, so, it kicked out time to time when I needed to keep it and every time it didn't let go the rope when I wanted... truly, that sucks.
The small biner is one more thing to do and doesn't match with the KISS principle. It's a good trick for ascending the bigs trees, but not for working in the canopy.
Petzl sells now a lock which we can add to the Pantin and make it acts like a Croll or a hand ascender.

I have a CT one now. Much more reliable, but you have to open the lock manually like the other toothed cam ascenders. It takes more time and more care to take the rope out. Not so easy with the spurs too.
Can't we have both properties in one device? Easy on, easy off, but hold it securely in the middle?

Nope. And that whole business of rope climbing wearing spurs is craziness, sorry but that is my well earned opinion.

Yes, I agree completely on the principle and I have it often in mind.
I don't like the spurs by them self, they're dangerous and can't be trusted (that's just me), but spurs and rope are more useful together than each alone and bring some helpful possibilities in work positioning. I appreciate that, despite the risk of injury.
The foot ascender fits nicely in this scheme as a rope aid. Very few times it gave me some troubles using the spurs ( bad placed bump on the trunk or very rough bark).

The onliest time I wound myself with the spurs (yet) wasn't climb related. Some dry dirt was stuck between the teeth of the grip. I scraped it off with a finger and to remove the loose bits, I had the bright idea to tap the spur with my hand... just on the spike.
I saw it at the last moment but too late to stop my hand. Ouch. A nice triangular hole.:|:

Back