Monkey Beaver vs Onyx

Collectors items, for sure.

Like my Stroh falling axe from Sir Beranek. Not many would esteem it like I do, but to me it is an icon, and should probably be in a museum.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
MB is crazy comfortable. Leg pads are a must! Do away with the giant bill board leg patches and add padding. Took two saddles to get correct size. XL is HUGE!!! I wear a 42 jeans and needed a LARGE saddle. AWESOME piece of gear.

Good story, Denver, about August and the MB saddle.

That logo/equation is masterful.

The MB logo/equation == the feel of the August Hunicke video productions ... action, skill, energy, excitement, precision, etc., etc.

HOWEVER the marketing (e.g. advertisement copy/text in the catalogs and online) of the Monkey Beaver saddles is very lame (in my opinion) and TOTALLY misses the "feel" of the MB logo --- they should try to "sell the sizzle" (not the steak) ... (in my not so humble opinion). --- of course this opinion is from an "outsider" and not a real climber

Curious which catalog representation you are referring to because I have some opinions on that similar to yours. . .

aug

Curious which catalog representation you are referring to because I have some opinions on that similar to yours. . .

aug

Every one I've seen so far that I can recall...

Starting with New Tribe's website, and TreeStuff, and WesSpur, as I recall.

I was "jarred" and puzzled by the disconnect between the plain, pedantic, description of the Monkey Beaver saddle vs. the high energy, "excitement", "robust" skill, etc. depicted by the MB logo and the August Hunicke videos.

It seems the descriptions/advertisement are *trying* to make the connection between the product and the high energy MB logo and videos and August Hunicke.... but fail (if that was their intention) (no offence intended)

I just noticed it in the first sentence or two where it seemed they were trying to make the connection... but there was none of that (to me) .. just flat words.

DISCLAIMER:

I am not their target audience though... maybe I'm all wet and the description *exactly* resonates with working climbers and gives them all the info they need.
In which case, forgive my presumption of thinking I have to put in my 2 cents.

This was my unscientific, anecdotal impression... I may even be all wet on the facts... I will go back and look because if I do wind up buying a climbing saddle, I am 99.9% going to get the Monkey Beaver one.

.... You know, I'm really not their target audience.... and I don't know anything about it.

but it is New Tribe website and WesSpur website... the others just seem give a basic description of its features.

But the 2 aforementioned seem to try to give a tip of the hat to the dynamic logo, etc. ... and it just seems (to me...not their target audience) jarring by comparison in its flatness.

(no offence! ... I know that is the easiest thing to do in the world is sit back and criticize those that are doing!).

Most all I know about advertising I learned from Mad Magazine 50+ years ago.

No offense taken. I can market it better than all of them. And I hope to do just that, soon.

aug

August,

I had no business talking/writing/typing the way I did about things I know nothing about.

I'm here to learn and I am grateful for the help I've gotten from everyone here.

I wish I had a part-time job dragging brush on your crew.

Like I said if I wind up getting a climbing saddle, 99.9% it will be the Monkey Beaver.

Robert.

"Born into this world a fool -- and still trying to get over it"

I am not sure what you have to apologize about. You made an observation on how you see things...sounds like August concurs to a large degree. Good discernment on your part as I see it.

Don't drag brush unless you really have to...:)

Back