Monkey Beaver vs Onyx

hammer0419

TreeHouser
I am looking to purchase a saddle. I did have an Onyx for a brief moment but was not able to use it at that time. Wondering if I should go with the onyx again or the new MB?? I like the thicker wider belt on the MB. CURIOUS if anyone has knowledge of both. Thanks

Monkey Beaver to the white courtesy phone. That's Monkey Beaver to the white courtesy phone.

The guy who designed the monkey Beaver is a member here. Looks like a good saddle but I haven't used it. For what it's worth I use a tree motion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should have also mentioned I am NOT a professional arborist so daily use it will not be. I like the large back pad on MB but maybe too overbuilt for a few times a month use???? A weekend limb cut here and there. Setting up treestands every season For hunting, etc. I CAN ALSO GET AN ONYX FOR $100 LESS THAN MB!

Agree w last two posts , though my Puma is many moons from replacement I do believe it will be August's Monkey Beaver when the time comes.

Is it that much better? Or is it just different? All the attachment points on MB are not something I need. As stated I like the larger padded belt. Is that worth $100 more?? I hate these decisions

[QUOTE Is that worth $100 more?? I hate these decisions[/QUOTE] ....Living and working long term w results of the decisions. Saddles are super personal preference. On my third one now and pretty happy. Too bad there's no test driving ... Plus in the grand scheme of things these days a Hunert bucks ain't a big cash pile.

I got a chance to look at the kits of quite a few climbers in the last coupla days, and it seems like every new saddle's got those teeny tiny side D rings that I despise!

WTF's anybody see that's advantageous bout micro D rings?

Jomo

I got a chance to look at the kits of quite a few climbers in the last coupla days, and it seems like every new saddle's got those teeny tiny side D rings that I despise!

WTF's anybody see that's advantageous bout micro D rings?

Jomo
... My first saddle had full size half circle dees , second one full size full circle dees , Puma has the smaller half circle dees ...They are totally fine once you get used to them , actually even better for moving through the canopy IMO

Is it that much better? Or is it just different? All the attachment points on MB are not something I need. As stated I like the larger padded belt. Is that worth $100 more?? I hate these decisions
You can take it by the other way : what I loose if I save 100 $ on it?

That could help to see the things by down grading the top, then it appears that the money could have a little less value than what you are looking for.

I agree, it's often a difficult decision.
Maybe there is only one thing for which I didn't think too much about the advantages vs money : it's the Akimbo :D

The $100 is definitely not a real breaker. The whole decision is a question of comfort. All the extra attachments and such on the MB are irrelevant for my needs. Is the MB belt that much more comfortable than the Onyx? That's my only dilemma.

What is your source?

On treestuff the onyx is 10 dollars more.

Comfort (and utility) , that's what it's about. Love in Fundamentals how Ger explained that it's actually the Climber breaking in and getting used to the saddle not the other way around.

That's a good way to look at it. I can't seem to break into the one I have now. Trying to be patient but I'm thinking hard about a new tribe now.

Back