Dangerous species

Pretty much all that have been listed. Walnuts scare me sometimes too.

Just priced myself out of a big, dead one ( At least I hope I did)

Killed by Polyporus squamosus.
I asked the owner when it died, he said 3 years ago.
Right next to a busy street, it'll be a bitch getting a crane in.

I'll let someone else have the fun of that one.

Barberchair you said?
Look at this one :
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bPHV1uJxUNQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Very very close !

I couldn't see one, Butch, but maybe from the camera's point of view a little face might have been in there.

Eff...I have no real understanding of what that well kitted fellow was doing with his saw,wedges, and driver. Nor do I think he did.

That was REALLY close. Lucky mofo, quick and lucky both.

I don't understand why he didn't cut a notch.

I've cut pines w/o an underbed, but they was wrapped with chains and a skidder was pulling.

Considering how well decked-out he was...

:?

At least he had all his PPE!

auwhsw.gif

Lucky boy, it looks like ground to easily lose your footing on if you have to get out of Dodge quick. Having all the gear doesn't make a faller.

Damn baby spruce just in the way !
I think that he made a notch. During the first part (at 0'20"-0'25"), he looks very closely where he cut on the downside. Isn't it to insure that the both cuts of the notch meet correctly ?

After that, a quarter cut with a wedge, then the second quarter cut in two times.

He's very surprised and doesn't understand why he got that, because he has a close look again at the stump to find what's wrong with his cut. Not everybody does this on his stumps (but should), messed or not. Maybe he isn't a certified faller, but at least he seems to be a good enough treeman, at least in my eyes. Or will be...

Too bad we can't see the stump like he did. I bet he got the answer at his question.

You can see that tree bending right where it barber chairs. If there was a notch it was probably too narrow. I haven't seen too many fallers with arms like toothpicks either. Just sayin....

I agree if there was a notch it must have been small look at the end after the BC as much as that tree bent any hinge wood should have let it go. Can't see the other side of the tree but the BC ac-cured on the outside or down hill side. Maybe there was a small notch but I don't think so. Just my 2$ inflation cents aren't worth there weight I melt them sell for scrap not really have a huge bobttle and give to the kids that need a little extra plus I throw in a few$.
Ted

Not many ( If any at all) fallers wear arbo helmets to work, Jay.
Guy is an arborist or hopes to become one.

Good catch Stig, arbo who hasn't quite got the hang of felling yet. He'd get hauled out pronto for sticking his head that close to the back of a cut up tree, the BC is precisely one of the reasons not to do it.
He's so lucky to get out of the way of the trunk when it came thumping down!

Yup.
He was lucky, all right.
Hopefully he learned something from that.

Back