MS270 coil

david jones

Treehouser
I got a 270 a while back that looked like never been used but had some parts missing. I replace the parts along with a $76 ignition coil and it ran nice and smooth, didn't use it, just started and run. That's been a few months back, I decided the other day I'd see how it cut and used it maybe 2 or 3 minutes and it just shut off, wouldn't start, no fire at all. That night I took it down to check a little further and it was firing. Next day I tried and it ran again a couple minutes and shut down, no fire.

My question is, are there another coil that I can make fit?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Checked all that, even unplugged the kill switch, it wont even tingle my finger untill it gets cold then it fires fine

Seems like everything that happens to me is strange. After reading about this saw I find a lot of people has trouble with coils and no other stihl coil will fit. I sure wish it could be something else, I just don't think I'll buy another new coil.

New Bosch WSR6F, runs like new for a few minutes then stops firing, cools off a while, same thing again. I put a screw driver in the plug socket and feel nothing at all till it cools then it'll shock me strong like it should.

I thought I read somewhere that someone fitted another coil to a 270 and cured the coil problems and from what I've read they had coil problems on the 270 an 280.

Should the china coil have R plug?
I would try a non resistor plug first and see if its different.
It sometimes help show were problem is.

I tried a couple of these china coils, but its not for me. I rather put in a good used one or get a original.
It is of no importance how cheap it is if its just waste of money and time.

I bought the coil from a Stihl dealer new, Ace Hardware, the spark plug came from HL Supply, I didn't think either one was from china, I'll try another plug but I think the coil is getting hot and stop firing, maybe defective.
Thanks for helping me.

That's what I bought, as far as I know that's the only one that will fit. no aftermarket. So far mine has never run long enough to cut, warms up then dies. I am going to try to convert to something else and was hoping someone here knew what to look for.

Back