The Ashley Book of Knots

TreeMuggs

Treehouser
Published in 1944, this is the Bible of knots. Clifford Ashley took notes on knots for over 40 years of his life, and then labored for over 11 years to produce the most comprehensive reference of knots and ropework ever written.

With almost 4000 knots, his work covers basically every type of hitch, bend, stopper knot, lashing, binding knot, and running knot that you can imagine, as well as decorative and fancy knots, trick and puzzle knots, sinnets, marlingspike, and 3-strand splices, among many, many others. This book is exhaustive, and a testament to a devotion and drive to produce something that would stand the test of time. In addition to showing you how to tie the knots, which were all painstakingly illustrated by the author, Ashley helps to explain the history and usage of the knots. The first chapter, ‘On Knots’ is a fascinating look at the history and tools of sailors and ropeworkers – highly recommended reading.

From the first chapter:
“To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space. A bit of string affords a dimensional latitude that is unique among the entities. For an uncomplicated strand is a palpable object that, for all practical purposes, possesses one dimension only. If we move a single strand in a plane, interlacing it at will, actual objects of beauty and of utility can result in what is practically two dimensions; and if we choose to direct our strand out of this one plane, another dimension is added which provides opportunity for an excursion that is limited only by the scope of our own imagery and the length of the ropemaker’s coil.
What can be more wonderful than that?”

Clifford Ashley died in 1947. His book is now in the public domain.

Check it out here at EducatedClimber in PDF, with downloadable link.

I received ABOK as a christmas gift when I was very young, grade school age, and have learned to tie many knots from there. Great reference!!!

I have it on the home computer. It will have you tied up for days on end reading, great book, a must have. Don't pass up on this opportunity to download it if you don't have it.

That was the first time I ever tied a noose great book it is amazing the knots we know now were used so long ago. I can't wait to show my wife the noose that will make here happy!! Knot!!!!! I have been following your educatedclimber.com series good work should help new people and old too. Thanks for the book it will come in handy.
Ted

It's in my computer now, thanks a lot.
I was very surprised when I saw the publishing year, I thought at a typo.
For me, it was more around 17..-18.., in the golden age of the sail marine and in the line of all the discoveries and knowledge collections.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a fantastic book, I love it (plus I'm a book nerd). I'm working on getting another great old book on the site, by a certain Mr. John Davey, whom you might have heard of.....

Ted, I have a noose video on my site if you're interested, you can watch it here: EducatedClimber/knots
It's about 2/3 down the page.

Back