I have a confession to make...

Buddy

Treehouser
So, I have started my own tree service business. It's a legitimate business, registered with the state and I also have insurance. It's only a 3 day a week job because I work for the Idaho Dept of Lands the other 4. Most of my jobs have been pine removals so far with one cottonwood that the home owner wanted the dead and broken branches cut out of. So far everyone has been very happy with the work I have done.:) I have no intentions of biting off more than I can chew and if any jobs come along that I don't think I can do properly I won't do them. I would rather turn down a job than do a poor job. In a small town your reputation will make or break you, rumors spread faster than wildfire.

I have been a little nervous to mention this here on the forum because I kinda got the impression that if you ain't a certified arborist you ain't really welcome.:/: But here lately I got the feeling that that is not necessarily true. At least I hope not...

I would like to point out that my expenses have far exceeded my income so far. :O My personal account has been carrying me but I hope to change that before I have to pay my first quarter taxes. This has been a fun adventure so far. It is also running me ragged but I am enjoying it so it's worth it. I also just purchased a new to me work pickup. I'll have to post some pictures of it. I think some of you will like it.

Thanks guys for your help with the questions I have had so far. I hope to continue to be a member here and be able to enjoy all your pictures and videos well into the future.

Shawn

Sounds good to me...lots here are NOT certified arborists...I am not. But lots of good info gets shared...from CA and from the rest of us jokers.

Looking forward to watching your work progress. Keep us in the loop.

I have been a little nervous to mention this here on the forum because I kinda got the impression that if you ain't a certified arborist you ain't really welcome.:/:

Where'd you get that idea?? I can't recall certification being mentioned much here, pro or con.

Afaik, no one cares about certification. One could be certified yet useless in the field, or, highly skilled and experienced but uncertified.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will definitely try to keep you in the loop. It probably won't be August Hollywood stuff but I can post a few sideways pictures from time to time.

Not really sure where I got that idea Cory. My brain might be playing tricks on me or something.:hammer:

I'm a CA, but it has no bearing whatsoever on my competence in technical tree work (or lack thereof). It's all plant science and tree biology.

Part time here too. Spend just about every dime I make working on trees to get new stuff, Iron, Gear, ext. . .

I love it. Seriously, I'd do this for free.

Congrats brother. Keep making the next right choice 8)

Thanks Blaster and you too Willie;)

Sam, I here ya on spending all the money made doing tree work on tree gear. There's always something else that's begging me to buy it.

Good work on the business, Shawn!!

CA doesn't mean a lot. Its a baseline for basic tree care and tree work. If you can study well, you can be a CA with 3 years landscraper experience. A good feather in your cap, but you can be a CA for a week or 20 years with required CEUS. Still a CA.

You can never be a CA and know a brazillion things about tree care and health, disease, decline, management.

There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here that tons of CAs never benefit from.

Everything comes in time, with practice and study.

Most tree services start with a pick-up, I'd venture to guess. Before my first pick-up, I had an Astro van. Kevin Bingham worked by bike at one point, at least for certain jobs.

Having a full time job helps you avoid the rut of a lot of start ups, trying to get established with too low of rates to get jobs to pay insurances, equipment, wages, as well as rent/ mortgage, food, etc. Guys will bid to be certain to get a job, because of upcoming bills and no nest egg.

Congrats man, I'm in the exact same dinghy :) except i do trees even less due to my work schedule. This year I've decided to give it a pretty serious go tho, so hopefully that'll work out. Good luck with your business!

Congrats Shawn, that's a big step. Manage the relationships with your customers and avoid the race to the bottom with the ladder and pickup crowd, and you'll build something you can be proud of.

As far as being certified by the ISA, it means next to nothing. We all know CA's who are useless in the field, and non-CA's who are amazing arborists. My ISA runs out at the end of June and I am strongly considering not renewing it. The ISA cert. is a racket......

Glad to see several guys on here attempting the same as myself. Homemade dump trailer a few saws, climbing gear and my pickup. I've got as much money in books and dvds as I do climbing gear. I'm an ISA member. No certs. It's paid off getting 2 jobs. I tell them what it takes to become a CA or climber and they seems tickled and happy as hell just because I cared enough to try and pursue it. Facebook has gotten me a few jobs. I don't advertise but I have a page with some job pics and just by friends and family sharing my page it has kept me pretty busy every weekend.

I am not certified yet and the only reason I want one is to help with some DNR and ultra snobby (ultra rich) lake property owner gigs. Everybody started somewhere with the bare bones gear and no fear of hard work. Keep on keeping on and the rest will follow.

I have been doing tree work for literally 30 years now. In the past I have been a Maryland licensed tree expert and an Isa certified. I really don't like paperwork and bullshit so for at least 15 years I haven't held any certificates. I don't think it hinders my business in any way

This is starting to sound like AA or NCA (none certifieds anonymous). :D. I just assumed that most of you were CA and had full time tree businesses with fancy bucket trucks, chippers and grinders etc. Thank you for the words of encouragement. I still envy the certified with nice equipment because I know it wasn't easy to get to that point.

My new work pickup. It's a 1995 F250 with a 460. The gas gauge moves faster than the speedometer!

IMG_3106.jpg

Nice truck man.
Only cert I hold now is Certifiable.
Might have my LTO soon.
Humble beginnings for a lot here. Just working guys and gals trying to make a living.

Don't worry about the cert unless you see some form of payback from it. In my locale I had to be isa certd to bid on municipal work. It was well worth it for me. But I do think it's a bit of a joke. I'd get asked quite often if I was a 'certd arb'. I'd tell them yes it was a gruelling hour of testing and many hundreds of dollars, but yes I am certd. Lol.

The cert shows a basic understanding of the basics IMO. It's not a bad thing, but it in no way qualifies someone as an expert.

One could be certified yet useless in the field, or, highly skilled and experienced but uncertified.

This is absolutely true. A corollary to that is comparing building codes to quality workmanship. Two completely different things.

But.....as someone who is not a member of any recognised body, or ever will be, for reasons obvious to anyone who frequents my posts.

A willingness to follow certain set procedures, abide by rules designed to improve industry standards and a preparedness to be inspected to show adherence is surely not a bad thing.

There's often moaning about hacks on here, the professional organisations are there to stop them.

They'll never get a stranglehold on our biz, for reasons too complex to go into here.

Back