Flop or top?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No, seems like it's worth the extra money to have help with cleanup and having someone on the ground to send me stuff up the tree. Not to mention the safety thing.

I'd go for a high notch and back cut, maybe 4-5'+.. open face over 90 degrees, getting the soft top to hit first. I'd worry about lower limbs poking holes in the blacktop.... Try to keep it on the stump until the top hits, spreading the force between the tips and the but (which will be well off the ground)...

I love the idea of the slide line grendel... Just set up one single line, from one of the nearby trees to a truck in the parking lot, 45 degrees to the fall and make sure the tips catch on the way, which will change the angle and keep the force from going straight down.. GREAT IDEA!

I thought that he was looking for a way to not do any climbing for that job. If he was wanting to climb to rig, it seems like he might as well remove some limbs to rid the concern.

Just set up one single line, from one of the nearby trees to a truck in the parking lot, 45 degrees to the fall and make sure the tips catch on the way, which will change the angle and keep the force from going straight down.. GREAT IDEA!
With the spring, the trees are now in the fast growing mode, that could shred the bark off the gin pole tree. An extra care should be taken to tie the line on it.

I think I have decided to climb and dismantle it. This way I don't have to worry about vehicles in the parking lot or at the last second someone strolling out of their motel room and getting wacked. I will just cone off a big enough area to work and not worry about it. Besides, it should be good advertisement...

All done and the cleanup took twice as long as the dismantle. The wind was blowing fairly hard and it spread sawdust over the entire block. The coffee shop right next door even had sawdust on the floor inside. I sat in there drinking a decaffeinated mocha something and won a free shirt. I told the barista I was going to wear it while I cut down the tree but when I got outside and tried to put it on it was to small. Had to trade it in later for an XL.

IMG_3114.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

Can anyone tell me why my pictures post sideways? I am posting from my phone and the pictures have not been altered in any way.

Were you firewooding it down, individually?

Bucking/ blowing saw chips directly onto a tarp can save a lot of chasing saw chips. That is pull a tarp along next to the log as you buck, adjusting every so-many cuts.

What is decaffeinated?

I was blocking it down. Not firewood size though. The blocks in the trailer I cut small enough I could roll them up the ramp into the trailer without killing myself. 99% of the sawdust was on the pavement so it was an easy cleanup. Although using a tarp is a good idea.

Decaf= is shakeless coffee

Two days ago, I had a Jomocha milkshake (coffee and chocolate flavor). wish it had caffeine, a shakeful of coffee.

decaf does not compute ;)

with a skid steer it's a true pleasure to build a brush pile 10' tall with all those spruce limbs and then drop to stick without a care in the world... Course that's the kind of brush pile that will cause groundies to walk home and never come back... UNLESS of course you have a skid steer to dismantle it too! Then they just stand clear and watch the machine stuff the chipper... DO they even know how easy they got it??

A 25 year old former pencil pusher was telling about how hard he had worked that day. I thought ... not only did you not work hard... you've never worked hard... so much so you don;t even know what hard work is.. You've never even seen it.. But bursting his bubble wouldn;t have helped so I just smiled and nodded approvingly, and let out a little mhm.

Before posting pics from my iPhone I have to edit them in my gallery. I just tap original and save. After doing that they post fine. If I don't they're sideways for some reason

with a skid steer it's a true pleasure to build a brush pile 10' tall with all those spruce limbs and then drop to stick without a care in the world... Course that's the kind of brush pile that will cause groundies to walk home and never come back... UNLESS of course you have a skid steer to dismantle it too! Then they just stand clear and watch the machine stuff the chipper... DO they even know how easy they got it??

A 25 year old former pencil pusher was telling about how hard he had worked that day. I thought ... not only did you not work hard... you've never worked hard... so much so you don;t even know what hard work is.. You've never even seen it.. But bursting his bubble wouldn;t have helped so I just smiled and nodded approvingly, and let out a little mhm.

I've worked in an office, dealing with clients on phones, selling, taking orders, ensuring deliveries go out, dealing with mistakes.
It's hard work, different for sure, but you're knackered at the end of the day.

Dealing with co-workers that you don't get along with within the confines of an office is very tiring, people tell me. Those are public servants in our city hall. :lol:

Working in an office would kill me in about two weeks.
One of those " Go crazy and shoot everyone around you and get whacked by the SWAT team, events"

Logging is WAY easier.

^^^^ yup! I spent four years working in a College, I lost my temper once in a meeting...people walked a circle around me for a little while after that.
Then I got made redundant and heaving a huge sigh of relief I went back outside to the fresh air. It was great while I was actually teaching but once it got more administrative and political...it was no fun anymore.

Nice job Buddy, tree's down, money in your pocket :)

Thanks Bermy

In the Mike Rowe video that someone posted the other day Mike said something like, "people with dirty jobs that work with their hands are inherently happier". That's not exactly what he said but it's the point he was making. I had to work about 3 days in the office last year and I hated it...

Back